One Shot, One Kill [2]

"Little present for you," Gibbs tossed a stack of files on Kate's desk.

"Okay? What is it?" Kate asked.

"Seven years' worth of Gunnery Sergeant Alvarez's personal and professional correspondence. I need it sorted by category,"

"Which are?"

"Going to leave that part of it up to you,"

"Oh, come on, Gibbs, at least tell me what I'm looking for,"

"Same thing we're all looking for, Kate: a murderer,"

"Ooh, why didn't I take the damn dolls?"

***

"Is there a reason you pulled all their heads off, Abby?" Caly voiced as she looked at the wide range of dolls surrounding the lab.

"It's so we know we've checked them," Abby reasoned.

"Yeah, but the one with the round in it was sitting practically on top. You emptied the entire box,"

"Well...it was kind of fun,"

"And they're naked,"

"Shh. I am about to perform my first autopsy," Abby took a pair of scissors and cut through the doll's head that had a hole in it. She used a pair of tweezers to pick out the bullet. "Aha...Gerald...to Abby, please,"

"Does Ducky know you do that?" Gibbs asked as he entered the lab.

"Hey, Gibbs," Abby greeted. "I was just about to run this through the ballistics lab.

"Good, because when you're done, I want to see a mock-up of the trajectory on the computer,"

"You got it," Caly nodded.

"Cal, why are all these dolls naked?"

"I don't know, and I don't want to know,"

"It wasn't a pistol, Gibbs," Abby reported as she looked over the image on her computer "7.62 millimeters,"

"A rifle," Caly suggested.

"I can't tell which kind. Hopefully, I can look it up on the plates,"

"Then why don't you start with what it's not, Abby," Gibbs said.

"Well, I know it's not an AK-47. There are lots of those floating around DC," Abby explained.

Caly walked over to look at the screen. "The grooving's all wrong. And without knowing the exact make of the rifle, we're going on guesswork, but I think it explains why there are no eyewitnesses." she looked back at Gibbs. "Every rifle has a certain range where they experience maximum penetration power. It has to do with the ammo load, the length of the barrel, and the rifling,"

"We know our round went through a Marine," Abby continued as she showed a digital recreation of the shooting "ricocheted off an office chair, through a box, a sheetrock wall, and ended up in our doll's head. There's no way that shot came from just outside the window or even across the street,"

"The shooter was long-range." Caly revealed, "Really long-range." she looked over at Gibbs. "Our shooter's a sniper,"