Basketball

You laugh as you hand the man your ticket, entering the gymnasium.

"That's why I brought you here, so I could watch Jason play!" Your friend, Leslie, points to the boys warming up on the basketball court.

"I can't believe you dragged me here just so you could simp," You shake your head.

"Come on, I know the best seats," Leslie grabs your hand and yanks you across the bleachers.

You find your seats and watch the basketball team dribble and pass basketballs around. You've never been interested in basketball. You've never even been to a game this season. But when Leslie offered to buy the tickets, you couldn't pass up some free entertainment.

"There he is!" Leslie squeals, pointing to the court.

You try and follow her finger, but instead land your eyes on someone else. A brunette with shaggy hair and a stubbley beard. The muscles in his arms engage as he jumps up to shoot the basketball toward the hoop, it glides in with ease.

"Number one?" You ask meekly, eyes greedily taking in the view.

"No, idiot," She frowns. "Number one is Sapnap, he looks nothing like Jason."

"Sapnap," You repeat in a whisper, not to forget his name.

"Yeah, Sapnap. The senior. He's not nearly as cute as Jason."

"I disagree," You swallow hard, watching as he dribbles the ball through his legs.

"No way," Leslie's jaw drops. "No fucking way! You have a crush!"

"No!" You avert your eyes from the handsome player. "I don't!"

"You're totally melting over him!"

"I'm not!"

"So if I were to tell you more about him, you wouldn't be interested?"

You would be interested. You suddenly want to know everything about Sapnap. You look back to the court, where Sapnap is laughing with a teammate, walking back toward the benches.

He's practically godly with a smile. But Leslie can't know that.

"No," You lie. "I wouldn't be interested."

"Liar," Leslie grins. "I've known you since third grade. I know when you're lying to me."

You cave. "He's so cute, Leslie."

She cheers. "I knew it, bitch!"

"How have I never seen him before?"

"He keeps to himself most of the time. He hangs with the quarterback Clay and his boyfriend George."

"What classes is he in?"

"All advanced placement from what I've heard," She looks at him too. "He's smart."

"No wonder I haven't seen him around."

"And you want to know the best part?"

You watch him shoot another shot, but this one bounces off the rim. He pouts, and you fall even harder.

"Y/N?"

"What?" You snap out of reality.

Leslie rolls her eyes. "Simp."

"Says you!"

"I said, do you want to know the best part?"

"What?"

"He's single," She giggles. "You should ask him for his number after the game."

"No way!"

"If you ask Sapnap for his number, I'll ask Jason for his!"

"I'm not doing it, Leslie."

"Let's make a bet, okay?" Leslie begins. "If the Bulldogs lose this game, you ask Sapnap for his number."

The Bulldogs, the opposing team. Literally the best team in the local area, unmatched to any. They won't lose, they can't lose, they've gone undefeated the whole season.

You stick out your hand. "Deal."

Leslie narrows her eyes with a grin. "Get ready to lose."

You shake your head. "Not a chance."

~~~

"And with a shocking upset, the Yellowjackets beat the Bulldogs!" The announcer roars.

You can't move. You're stuck with your jaw dropped and limbs stiff. Next to you, Leslie cheers wildly.

"I believe we made a deal," She grabs your shoulders, pulling you up. "Time to ask number one for those seven digits."

"Leslie, I back out," You shake your head quickly. "I can't do this."

"You made a deal, Y/N, I expect you to follow through."

You look down at the bench, where Sapnap sits alone, drinking water. The rest of the team has since dispersed to family and to the locker room. Now is your chance.

"Fine," You grumble, descending down the bleachers.

Your heart pounds as you approach the bench, and your stomach drops when green eyes fall onto you.

"Hey," You say as calmly as possible.

God, he's even prettier up close. He's got strong eyebrows and a perfect nose. His eyes scan you for a second before he offers a brief smile.

"What's up?"

"I just saw you playing and I wanted to say that you're really good."

His smile returns. "Thank you, Y/N."

You furrow your brows. "You know me?"

"Yeah," He takes another swing of water. "You have second block lunch, right?"

You feel honored. "I do."

"You sit with that one girl, Leslie, right?"

You nod quickly.

He stands, roughly your height, eye to eye. "If you guys ever want to sit by me, I'd be happy to make some room."

Your heart stops. "Really?"

He scratches the back of his neck. "I'm not going to lie, I've been wanting to ask you that for a while. I just never worked up the courage."

You laugh. "I actually came over here to ask for your number."

His face lights up. "Actually?"

You smile. "Yes!"

He bends down, digging into a gym bag, only to return with his cellphone. "You're not kidding, right?"

You shake your head. "No joke."

He unlocks his phone, handing you the device. "You can just put in your number. I'll text you."

You tap the screen, practically shaking. "Here," You hand him back his phone.

He looks at the number with a smile. "Thank you so much."

"No, thank you."

He opens his mouth to reply, but a teammate rushes onto the court. "Sap, get in the locker room. The coach is making a speech!"

His eyes widen. "Sorry, I have to go."

You step back. "It's totally fine. Go ahead."

He grabs his bag and rushes by you, and you watch him go. He turns around for a moment, looking his shoulder at you. He smiles wide, admiring you, before disappearing into the locker room.

You melt, numbly returning to Leslie, who squeals and shakes you with overwhelming excitement.

"You did it!" She laughs. "And he looked like he liked you too! Did you see that smile!? He totally was into you!"

"I-I know," You mutter.

Your phone buzzes in your pocket, and you retrieve the device, met with an unknown number and the sweetest message.

927-2928: Hey, Y/N, It's Sapnap. I forgot to tell you that you looked perfect tonight. :)