Diablo's Contract

Corgan, a bustling city filled with ringing, murmurs, and footsteps. In the west corner there's a small unsanitary apartment where unlucky residents live. Cramped, grimy, enclosed with unpleasant odors, and toured by unwanted pests. The residents sacrifice all of their blood sweat and tears to survive. In light of their shared hardships, they established a community. Theo's family is one of them.

Theo's parents are among the fortunate few to be employed in the city, so they are valued by the community. Theo's dad works in construction. His mom is a waste collector. Their neighbors took care of Theo when his parents left for work. They would only feed him and accompany him to sleep.

"Why did they have a son of all things?"

"This varmint only burdens the community."

"If only he was not the chief, I would have thrown this baby into the sea and let the sharks eat him whole. How troublesome..."

Theo was never taught how to talk nor to walk. He doesn't have toys to play with In the grand scheme of existence, he is but a minuscule creature, seemingly insignificant, only coexisting within the treacherous ambiance that surrounds him.

As he reaches the ripe age of 9, he ventures outside. He learns how to eat without feeding. He can walk on two feet, and converse with adults effortlessly. The neighbors are relieved.

"Finally, no more babysitting."

"I can't believe I didn't get paid for this."

"I can finally sleep peacefully without hearing his obnoxious screams. I'll never see that creature again."

Theo learned that the community hated him for existing. He didn't take it to heart as he has been living with that expression ever since he was born. But he couldn't socialize or ask to play with them since they are busy with routines.

Maybe if I contribute to the community, I can play with them! Theo's idea is to help his mother work as a waste collector. He has seen, touched, smelled, and tasted all kinds of garbage from solid to liquid since he was born. So picking up a litter wouldn't be a problem for him. He asks his mother to work together.

After a few conversations, his mother allows Theo to work outside as a waste collector. But she informs him first. "Be careful where you go, Theo. The outside world is a dangerous place where predators hunger for prey. So it is better to stay low and never cause trouble."

Theo learned how to walk, eat, and talk by observing others. He doesn't ask for help when he wants snacks. He doesn't beg when he needs a break in the toilet. He had to do everything by himself. This is the first time someone has given him something.

An advice.

Or.

A lesson.

A lesson that can guide him to a future where he can be liberated from his worries A guide that shows him the path to happiness. But most importantly, a sign of his parents' love. After considering all of those, Theo takes her mother's advice to his soul. As a result, the outside world in Theo's eyes is gray.

Pick Pick... Grab Grab... Collect Collect... Gather Gather...

Day 1, Theo starts working as a waste collector. He vows to be useful to the community.

Pick... Pick... Grab Grab... Collect Collect... Gather Gather...

Day 4, Theo is getting used to the work environment.

Pick Pick... Grab Grab... Collect Collect... Gather Gather...

Day 7, Theo collects 35 dollars. As always, he gave them all to his parents.