Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Harry's POV

"She called in sick today?" Anna asked me and I nodded, looking down at my phone.

"She...sounded...She didn't sound right."

"Well she's not if she's sick genius."

I shook my head.

"No Anna. It was different. Something's wrong. The other day...she was helping me with some boxes and she had all of these bruises on her arms. She told me that she fell. Then when I asked about her boyfriend who she lives with, she got all defensive but she looked more scared than anything."

"Harry, you can't go around making accusations. Just because she had some bruises, that doesn't mean anything. You know how clumsy I am. I run into everything all the time."

"Anna, I'm telling you. Something is wrong."

Anna didn't look convinced and that pissed me off because I was sure of it. I know that something is going on with Emma. She looks scared. I see sadness and fear in her eyes. She's good at covering it up but I see it now.

"Maybe you just made her nervous. You made me nervous when I first met you. You have that whole bad boy attitude." She laughed

"Anna, please stop. This isn't funny. It's not a joking matter."

"Fine. You say something is wrong. What are you going to do about it?"

"I don't know." I mumbled.

"Maybe you should just call her, try to get something out of her." Anna suggested.

"But what if she's really sick?" Anna added.

"She's not...not accidentally at least."

"Harry, you seriously are taking this a bit far, yeah?"

"No. Just...get back to work."

Anna nodded and exited my office, closing the door behind her. I looked warily at my phone on my desk. I looked on my bulletin board to find her number and dialed it before I changed my mind.

"Hello?" she answered on the third ring, her voice hoarse.

"Emma? It's me, Harry."

Silence. She stayed completely quiet and I could tell that she was holding her breath.

"Emma?"

"Yes? Is there something wrong?"

"No...No, nothing's wrong. It's just...I'm a little concerned about you."

"Did I forget to do something at the café? I'm sorry if I did. I've just been really stressed lately."

"About?"

"School...just different things."

"Are you lying to me? How did you get those bruises all over your arms? Is that what you've been stressed about?"

"I already told you...I fell."

"I don't buy that."

"With all due respect Harry, I don't care what you buy. That's the truth. I fell down my stairs. They're carpeted but the carpet is thin and concrete is underneath it."

She was trying to convince me. I knew it. She's hiding something from me.

"You sure about that? Look, I don't mean to interrogate you or harass you about this but when I asked you about it, you looked really scared and worried. I care about my employees...and friends. I just want you to know that you can tell me anything. I mean it, anything."