Chapter 18

Narrators P.O.V
Wednesday makes her way to the Nightshades entrance after she talks with her brother Pugsly about their father. She gracefully goes down the stairs making her way to her mother to see her standing in the middle of the room.

Wednesday P.O.V
"Hello, Mother." She turns around ever so gracefully. "Hello, Wednesday." I begin walking down these treacherous steps making my way to my mother. "So you're a Nightshade. That didn't take long." My Mother's iconic smug face grows a smug smile with it. "Actually, I reject them." The joy it brought me as I watched the smugness dissipate. "Why? Because I was a member?" How typical. Thinking it was about her. Well, she's not wrong but I will never admit to it out loud. "I'll never live up to your legacy here, so why try? I won the Poe cup, you claimed it four times. I joined the fencing team, you captained it. Why would you send me somewhere I could only ever exist in your shadow?" I tried to comprehend my mother's reasoning for sending me here but I can't. "It's not a competition, Wednesday. Alexandria used to tell me, 'legacies is but allusion' at first I didn't know what she meant but as time went by I started to understand what she meant, nothing is as it seems there's always something wrong with what's left of someone's legacies and if you dig deep enough… well you know." Of course, Alexandria weasels her way into my mother's heart. Mother and her must be really close for my mother to quote her; she only does that to the people she admires. I look down at the tile floor memorizing the patterns. "Everything is a competition, Mother. But mostly I rejected them because they're a trivial social club. " I ignored what my mother said about Alexandria, trying not to give it a second thought but I failed miserably. 'Legacies is but allusion' she's right but I rather wear color than say it. Ever. My mother lets out a sigh at the lack of response from me. "We used to be so much more. Our mission was to protect outcasts from harm and bigotry. In fact, the group was started by an ancestor of your father's from Mexico. One of the first settlers in America." There's only one possible answer. "Goody. I saw her painting at Pilgrim world." My mother has this look on her face that I can't decipher. "Oh. How ironic, since she was the one who killed Joseph Crackstone with Alexandria's spell. The Nightshades were their secret, but deadly, answer to his oppression." My mother tilts her head up, lightly sniffing. "I know why you've come here, Wednesday. So go on. Ask." She looks to be on the verge of tears, her black eyeliner being smudged around the corner of her eyelids because of all the crying that she's done since my father been arrested. "Father didn't kill Garrett Gates, did he?" "No."

                     'The Rave'N"
"By the time I made it up the stairs, I found your father fighting for his life. It was terrifying." Garrett takes a stab at Gomez but the sword was knocked out of his hand. Garrett punches Gomez in the face. Gomez grabs Garrett and pushes him into the pillar. "Garrett, no!" Garrett grabs Gomez and tosses him onto the construction for the new balcony. Garrett kicks Gomez in the stomach. "Garrett! Garrett, stop! Leave him alone!" Garrett and Gomez tussle on the ground until Garrett kicks Gomez off of him making him crash into the pillar. "I'll never forget the way he looked at me. He was foaming at the mouth. It was like I was staring into the eyes of a rabid beast." Morticia grabs the sword making Garrett walk into it. Alexandria runs in with her black and blue suit stopping beside Morticia. Morticia jerks the sword out of Garrett's stomach making him stumble backward. "Oh, no." He falls backward, hitting the ground with a sickening crack.  "It was only when I heard the scream that I realized what I'd done. Your father and your girlfriend were so… calm and brave." Gomez and Alexandria walk to the edge letting whoever was down there, to see them. Taking the blame. "Tish, you need to leave right now. Go to your dorm and lock the door. You were never here. Do you understand me? Morticia? Morticia was in a state of shock of killing a man but there was no time for that. "Put this back on the table. Go." Gomez hands the sword to her, getting her to take it. "Okay." Morticia brings Gomez into a bruising kiss. "I'll go to the dance and erase everyone's memory of her here tonight." Alexandria squeezes my right shoulder turning around and walking off to the dance letting her magic take over everyone's mind erasing any memories of Morticia beinging there.