Chapter 1

I find myself walking to school on the wettest and sometimes driest of days, wherever Charlie gets to stay home and do whatever he wants.
He can. He is allowed to do whatever he pleases but he stays with me, because we've been together since we were babies.

"Lola." I hear him say "Can we go out to eat tomorrow night? I got my pay check and I wanna treat you to some real food."

Real food. Music to my ears concidering all my mama (Michelle) feeds us is soup and porridge.
I wonder we'll ever find Charlie's parents and wonder if they'll come and take us to this large house in the middle of nowhere where I can take my time and go horse riding!

"Lola?" Charlie says.

"What? Oh, sorry. Yeah. I'd love to go Charlie!" I reply.

There's an eager smile on my face and it's not inpatient but I was practically on the tip of my toes, mouth watering, thinking about real food.
Childish behavior I know but Charlie was finally taking me out to eat! I've always asked him to but he said that he was busy working.

"It's a date then" he smiles and walks off.

A date. That's a time, like when you mark a date on your calendar but I don't know why he said it like that.

Charlie's said: "I've always had a thing for ya Lo"

When we were about 12, and I asked him what he meant and he simply turned red and said he learnt that line from the movie Scream.
I smiled and replied with:

"I love that movie! Her name is Sid though, not Lola. That's my name."

"I know." he says.

Staring at me. I brush that moment off and mark it as a time Charlie was being weird.