Chapter One

She stared at the floor, her body trembling with uncertainty as she heard the soft screams.

Her eyes felt swollen and were watering, but she was too afraid to close them; if she did, she knew he'd be there and staring at her. She'd be next.

She hadn't realized her sobs were choking her as she felt her chest tighten and she coughed weakly, her stammering whimpers echoing in the room.

She didn't want to die.

"Hey, Whitney," a voice called to her. "Hey, don't worry. It's going to be alright. Don't cry." The voice grew closer.

Whitney sniffed as she found the strength to lift her head and shift her attention to the voice next to her. She had to swallow the lump in her throat before it could come crawling out in a frantic cry for help.

She knew that kind and gentle voice, and deep down, part of her wanted to believe that this was just a game they were playing. That whatever was happening to them was just a prank. It's presence was comforting.

Though the screams reminded her of how dangerous the situation really was, and that they were alone.

For now.

"Don't listen to it," the voice whispered quickly. "It's hard, I know," it admitted, a shift in the tone. The voice was just as uneasy and afraid. Though, it didn't shrink away as the screams died out somewhere in that cold, dark room. "Listen carefully, okay?"

She gave a weak nod. She could feel the salt of her tears against her lips, making her grimace.

"You're going to get out of here."

Whitney felt the binding around her wrists loosen. She winced, the bruises leaving a twinge of pain as they released her. She weakly squeezed her fingers into balled fists, her lips trembling as she tried to find the words.

"I know it's scary right now," the voice whispered, "but this is our best shot. I need you to get out of here."

"N-No...No, I don't want to leave you," she pleaded weakly, closing her eyes as she moved her hands forward to to clutch them against her chest. "P-Please don't...don't go," she begged as she opened her eyes again, tears against her lashes as they gently raced down her cheeks from the corner of her eyes.

She saw him now, despite the surrounding darkness of the room that held them captive. It was difficult, but after wiping her eyes, she could see his blue ones looking back at her with hope.

"You gotta trust me,"  he muttered weakly.

"N-No, Gabe, I can't--"

"You have to!" he told her somewhat sternly as he gripped her shaking shoulders. Gabe stared at her wide, frightened eyes. Their shared gaze lasted only a moment before he quickly heard a clanking metal sound from behind him. It sounded like it was muffled by a wall or door, meaning there was another room that separated the two from the screams.

"Gabe, you'll die," she muttered in defeat, lifting her shaking hands to hold his shoulders in return. Her chest was hurting, and her breath was uneasy.

"Hey, remember when I said I would protect you?"

She could see a smile creeping on his face, though she knew it was merely a front of confidence to hide his own fear. He knew what would happen, she could see it in his face before he embraced her in his arms.

"I'm going to keep doing that, no matter what."

She could feel her sobs choking her again, and she held to him as she closed her eyes and pressed her head into his shoulder, feeling his hoodie drying her tears as she closed her eyes tightly. "I-I...I don't want you to go."