Chapter 2: A Celebration.. and an Offer.

Your hands rested on your legs as you found the silence in the limo to awaken your repeating thoughts.

You wore a fancy black dress, covered with the fluff of white fur around your shoulders, and sat across from the man who invited you to a luxurious restaurant.

Mori, boss of the Port Mafia.

You resisted asking for any information about the new mission, if there was any, until you arrived at the restaurant and heard it from him first. You looked around the limo, trying to kill some time until you arrived.

Chuuya sat next to you, gazing outside, thinking about something while his eyes looked at the passing cars. You wondered if he was as curious as you were about the mission, but then disregarded that thought. Chuuya had been on missions even after that one six months ago. You spoke in your mind, knowing you were the only one eager to be sent to one.

The limo came to a stop. You gazed out the window on Chuuya's side to see the huge, glossy door of the place. The door was wide open, and servants stood on either side of it. Chuuya got off first. He then reached out a hand for you as you were about to get out.

While you all were led to your table, you couldn't help but observe every detail of the place. The amount of gold plastered on the décor made the place look ethereal. You entered such places, but it would always be for some sort of mission. You never had the chance to study every object that was being displayed.

"Welcome! My lady, and gentlemen," the servant started, smiling towards you. He approached the table and served some fine wine into your cups. "We hope you enjoy your stay. Let me know when you are ready to order," he continued.

"The usual, but make it three," the boss ordered. The servant bowed. "Alright, Master Mori. Your order will be ready soon,"

"You'll get a taste of what I always love to eat here," Mori smiled, looking your way again.

"So, you finally made it! Full recovery, as I have heard?" Mori started, changing the subject. You nodded, smiling awkwardly as you picked up your cup.

"I assume it was a long, slow, and burning break for you. Am I right?" He asked. You nodded slowly in Mori's direction and realized he wasted no time getting into the core of the conversation. Chuuya was an observer of that as well.

Why would Chuuya be pulled into the conversation if it wasn't for something entirely different? You made the assumption in your mind.

Mori smiled, then rested his back on the chair, picking up his cup and taking a sip from it. "I thought...  What better way to celebrate your recovery than..." He paused, making you want to pull the next words from his mouth out of impatience.

Mori chuckled, noticing that.

Chuuya knew what was coming; it was exactly as it was six months ago. The difference was only that you were more eager to be on a mission than you were six months ago. In that way, for you to think logically about whether you suited the mission or not was out of the question.

Chuuya wasn't new to Mori; he wasn't accepting skills that were of no use. He had seen Dazai execute members that showed little to no use to Mori. He didn't want to imagine you being next.

Chuuya gulped down all that was in his cup, placed down his hat, and made both Mori and you look his way.

Chuuya without his hat was so different for you, maybe because he rarely took it off around you, but also because it reminded you of the vulnerable, drugged Chuuya back in your first mission with the Port Mafia.

With furrowed eyebrows, he said, looking at Mori, "You sure are having fun... doing this to her." "Why? Am I not supposed to?" Mori replied, looking down at his drink as he swirled it around.

"Don't speak as if I am not here," you interrupted them. It was only half the truth; what you wanted were the next words that Mori was about to say. Chuuya's chiming in made your blood boil, but you concealed it.

Your eyes met Chuuya's. "I have my own voice to object, Chuuya," you said, your voice failing to hide how irritated you were. His brows relaxed, but his eyes conveyed the same hostile energy toward you.

"That was something," Mori jumped in, putting both your and Chuuya's attention back on him.

The smile reached Mori's eyes; he certainly enjoyed seeing us holding back from killing each other. The thought annoyed Chuuya. He remembered how it was when he first joined Dazai.

Maybe I am the problem... He paused on that thought. Then he brushed it off since it was people who always ticked off his temper.

"Getting back to where I left off," Mori continued as the servant placed the main course in front of each of you. Mori said, "I've got one for you, y/n-san," seeing the sparkle in your eyes. "Go on," you said, holding back the excitement from showing in your voice.

"Darkmore, ever heard of him?" Mori started, sending chills down Chuuya's body.

Your eyes squinted slightly. Your pause was enough of an answer for Mori. "A man known for a long list of records he should be executed for," Mori explained. "He's not that different from my records, or yours, or his," you said, neutrally pointing at Chuuya.

You crossed your legs, folded your arms, and rested your back on the chair. "What's the catch?" you continued.

"Exactly why you should be recruited..." Mori spoke his mind, thinking about how much you could be doing for them. "No one knows what he looks like. "We knew he was a man last year when our recruits heard his voice," he continued.

"In the last few months, women in Yokohama have gone missing," a short pause followed, "with no trace of them whatsoever," he noted, taking a bite of his food.

"What makes Darkmore suspect of your conclusion?" Chuuya asked the same question that was running through your head. Mori placed his fork down and spoke: "Only when Darkmore made an appearance in Yokohama did women begin to disappear," he answered.

"That's not enough," you objected.

"Exactly, y/n-san," he said with a wide smile. Both you and Chuuya sat in silence, thinking about what you were supposed to be doing on this mission. "Start eating. It'll get cold," Mori suggested, his voice light, like he wasn't speaking about a probable serial killer.

Both you and Chuuya hesitantly started eating.

"Both of you are going to attend a party he is throwing." "I'm not asking you to be upfront and confront Darkmore," He began laying out the facts. When no one interrupted him, he continued, "I have managed to get invitations for two to go from the Port Mafia. You could, as partners, blend in and look for any clues around the mansion that could be evidence that it is his crime. "I'll handle the rest myself."

You placed your fork down and looked up at Mori.

"My first job as a Mafia recruit, hmm?" you asked, but meant something different. Both Chuuya and Mori understood. "This would be your audition to see if you are willing to sacrifice your life for the Port Mafia," he replied to your double meaning question.

༻✦༺  ༻✧༺ ༻✦༺  ༻✧༺

"I forgot to mention, y/n-san," Mori said, breaking the silence in the limo.

You looked up at him. He was smiling, looking outside. He maintained his smile as he met your gaze. It was the one thing he thought was best left for the end.

"Your guns are not permitted in the party."

Your eyes widened. He can't be serious. You thought. "But," you managed to say. He raised a hand to stop you. "Guns are not allowed in the party. They will check your bearings. If they find any, they will kill you on the spot," he clarified, making you quiet.

"Then you knew she's not fit for the job," Chuuya interjected, trying to keep his irritation under his voice, but it wasn't enough to fool you.

You were annoyed by Chuuya's repeated intrusion into making your choices himself, like you couldn't make them. You then came up with a conclusion.

"It's fine; it's not like we'll be countering him directly," you said quickly before Chuuya spoke another word. "Hmm?" was all that Mori said.

"I'll do it. Count me in, Mori-san," you said, glancing back at Chuuya.