Chapter 2: Undead Warriors Beat Up My Monster Counselor

Nico and Dr. Payne were still having their staring contest when I pushed myself to my feet.

"Um," I said. "As much as you two want to gaze lovingly into each other's eyes-"

"Dr. Thorn." Nico's voice was a gravelly whisper. His sword arm was trembling, the black metal of his sword quivering, leaving traces of shadow where it was. I couldn't see his face, but Dr. Payne/ Dr. Thorn/ the Manticore laughed as if the expression was something that amused him.

"The last I time I saw you, you and your sister were cowered behind Percy Jackson-" he spat the two words out with uncovered hate, "-unable to do anything. What makes you think you have the courage now, son of Hades?"

Nico didn't speak for at least ten seconds. His arms were still visibly trembling. Nico's voice was quiet when he spoke, leaving me to stare with a horrified kind of fascination. Son of Hades? Percy Jackson? All these names seem to put in casually. "If it weren't for you," he breathed out. "Bianca would still be alive." He took a deep breath, his voice still the deadly kind of quiet. "I've changed, manticore."

Dr. Payne's tail swished behind him, his eyes darkly amused. "Always looking for someone to blame," he chortled. "Your species don't change. Always thinking they're better than mortals, and that us monsters are even lower."

"Demigod isn't a kind of species, unlike you-" Nico began.

"Hold up," I interrupted. "This looks like a family reunion gone wrong. Can I be filled in, or do I just like, leave?"

Dr. Payne's expression abruptly changed when he turned to look at me for the first time. He didn't bother to cover the annoyance. "You. Insufferable girl, daughter of Zeus. Just as bad as your father. Worse, even, so annoying. Your mother hid you well, but no demigod scent can be masked forever."

"Literally none of that made sense to me."

Dr. Payne's tail lashed again, but this time, it was more angry than amused. His eyes, once multicoloured, were dark. "I have dealt with you for two years, demigod," he said. "Abiding the right times, looking for the clues. I will enjoy spilling your blood." He turned to look at Nico. "Move aside, di Angelo, and you can walk away unharmed. Stand before me and you will die with her."

Nico's knuckles were white as he gripped his sword. I still couldn't see his face, but I was kind of worried. Dr. Payne's offer sounded rather nice. Nico walk away unharmed. Leave a girl he met a couple of minutes ago. I probably would've taken it if I were in his place. The next couple of seconds were probably the longest and the worse of my life, and I dreaded that Nico would turn and leave. Why would he risk his life for a random girl? I didn't have any offer that would beat Dr. Payne's.

If Nico left, I would have nothing to defend myself with. There was nothing but lockers in this hall, and 4 locked doors. Unless I were to rip doors off their hinges and throw them at the manticore, then I was probably monster food, as Nico put it. I stared at the back of his head, wishing a random near-stranger would try to save me...which was highly unlikely.

I waited for the moment that he spoke. "I would say the same for you, Thorn," he said steadily. Why the hell was this kid risking his life for me? "Leave us alone or I'll send you to Tartarus myself. Your masters are gone. Atlas is once again holding up the sky. The Titans have been defeated. What do you want?"

Dr. Payne/ Dr. Thorn's (I was very unsure on his name by now. Nico called him Dr. Thorn, yet I had known him as Dr. Payne for two years.) lips peeled back in a disgusted snarl. "One last chance, you fool. You can't defeat me. The Earth Mother raised me from Tartarus, and she will again if you dare send me there again. You're on the losing side, child of Hades."