The Valentine's were entertaining guests that night, so thankfully her mother wasn't home when a repeated honking came from their driveway.

Marina scrambled up from the couch, cursing as she tripped over herself, and checked out the window.

It was Chase, at least she was pretty sure, his dad had so many cars.

She grabbed her shoes and rushed outside, she could put them on on the way, this had to be an emergency for him to just show up like this.

After flinging open the door of the SUV she climbed in, not even having time to buckle up before Chase peeled out of the drive way.

"Chase what's going on?!"

She demanded, finally having the chance to slip her worn sneakers on.

"Someone took Alex, the others are on their tail, we have to meet up with them."

"What?! Who took him?"

Marina had to grab the safety handle in the car, as Chase took a sharp turn.

"We don't know, Karolina's worried it might be people from the church. Alex cracked those files, and just like that someone snatched him."

Marina withheld a screech as Chase continued to drive like a maniac, hastily buckling her seatbelt.

"None of this will make a difference, if we die en route!"

Chase didn't respond.

Marina withheld a grumble about the fact that no one had bothered to tell her, and the only reason she was involved was because of Chase.

It felt like a lifetime of driving, before Marina spotted a vehicle in the distance, that looked like a mini cooper.

There was a sudden bright light, it grew larger as Chase pushed harder on the gas.

"Karolina."

Chase brought the car to a screeching halt, threw it into park and jumped out, Marina hot on his heels.

There was a man advancing towards the group from a black SUV, gun in hand.

"Got the whole gang together, huh?"

Was all Marina heard him say, before Chase- wasting no time- raised his hands- wait where did those gauntlets come from?- and shot an orange electric blast, sending their attacker flying into the bushes.

"What is happening right now?"

Marina asked in shock.

"I think we're kicking ass."

Nico decided excitedly.

She and Chase shared a high five, which quickly went wrong.

Chase's gauntlets created another blast, which sent him flying onto his back.

"Chase!"

Gert exclaimed, as she and Marina rushed to check on him.

Unfortunately, Alex's kidnapper had recovered, and was marching towards them again.

"Nah, nah! This ain't how it's about to go down."

He raised his guns, and Nico raised her staff- which Marina just noticed she had?- and shouted-

"Protect us!"

It felt like it happened in slow motion, Chase grabbed Marina, shielding her with his body as they waited for the bullets to come.