Prologue

I went into the Satyr's Brewery, a café-like place that served tea, coffee and alcohol, among other things. I sat down at the bar to greet my friend who worked there, Johnny Ambertank. "Hello, Will!" he welcomed, "Let me guess, your usual?" I nodded, placing the twenty-three gusils on the bar while sitting down. Johnny poured a glass of Oily Oaf, a popular drink down in the mines.

   I favored it the most of any of the other options due to the buttery smoothness and the comparatively low price. He slid it to me, then leaned onto the counter.

   "So... how'd it go?" he asked. "Well, I won't know until next week, but I think I have a pretty good chance at getting the job," I explained. Johnny nodded, looking to the glass doors. I took a sip from the glass as he did, then he turned to me.

   "You do know the risks you're taking, my brother... right?" he asked softly. I nodded, shrugging. "I figured if the pay is good, I can study the creatures and help the boys there," I explained. "Besides, it shouldn't be too bad. I understand that people are scared of what's out there... but for me, this is a new leap in what I love to do!"

   Johnny looked to the drink I had in my hand, and a moment of silence followed. "I don't understand, Will," he finally sighed, "people come back with PTSD from Hoxxes IV. If I were you, I'd just keep the job I have here. I do understand your curiosity though, they are alien specimens. They are likely things we've never seen before."

   "Exactly!" I replied, "Don't worry, Johnny... keep a drink for me, alright? The day I leave." Johnny looked up at me, and said seven words that stuck with me. "And what if your drink stays full?" I looked blankly at him for a moment, thinking of something to answer back with. Nothing came to mind though and I sighed.

   "Guess it'll stay full," I answered grimly before looking into my drink. I looked back up afterwards and saw Johnny's expression had become more worried. "Aye," I said, snapping his attention back, "I'll also take the meanest ham leg you got. Gotta eat like a champ to be one, especiallyout there."

.

.