20 (Oltan POV): Better

Oltan's POV

Oltan's POV

Eldour was boring compared to the palace. That's it, end of the story.

At first, you wouldn't think it was too boring. There was the incredible port, and the dozens of merchants that roamed Eldour quickly made the large outer city into one fit for tourists.

I loved my home, the people there were...interesting, and the views were nothing to compare to, but the Astostan palace had something special to it. I didn't know if it was the palace's design, or joyous staff prancing around the hallways and rooms with smiles on their faces. It could also be the people who I had managed to befriend in the short time I was at the palace.

I thought back to the palace, and then back to where I sat now. On the edge of the bed of my aging and ill mother, with her sitting against the pillows I lined up for her. "How are you feeling Mum?" I whispered.

I knew the answer was going to be the same as usual, since her accident with a broken rune when she still worked as a rune worker, her health has been teetering up and down.

"Better." She whispered.

I faintly smiled at the graying brown-haired woman beside me. 'Same old' was better than the previous several weeks of her illness. It was usually 'fine', or 'not great' with a usual groan of pain. But 'better' was progress.

"Do you need anything?"

"Yes." My mum started hoarsely. I hummed in response for her to continue. "I want you to finally tell me why you and Kayden disappeared for a week. Mr. Alinac and Liana nearly called the constable on you two once they realized that you were missing. I would have agreed if you hadn't written that bizarre letter saying 'Kayden and I went to the king, secret business, love you'. "

I grinned sheepishly. The letter was simply to ease her nerves while I was away. It wasn't meant to worry her, or Kayden's grandfather and sister.

"Sorry, Mum. As the letter said, Kayden and I went to see King Edwin at the Astostan palace."

I told her the story of the palace and the warnings we gave to the King, and the things the king did to help with the issues at hand. With my mum's already ill state, I didn't want to worry her about the Onyx attacks quite yet.

Once I finished the tale of my grand adventure of breaking into the palace, she turned to me with a Dawker-certified grin and a sparkle in her bright green eyes. "Oltan, what would I do without you?"

"I don't know Mum, I don't know." I laughed, standing up from her bed and heading to the small apartment kitchen to make tea.

I turned the small stereo that sat on the windowsill overlooking the sparkling teal waters of the Miran Coast. I grabbed the small dented green kettle from the stovetop and began to fill it with water. The kitchen scene was quiet. The quiet music played from the stereo, a soft hum of aged tunes playing as the water was placed onto the burner of the stove.

The quiet surroundings jolted to a stop once the music reached an abrupt pause and a newscaster came over the stereo.

"Yesterday morning we had reports of the palace being attacked by dark magic."

I gasped loudly. The palace couldn't be attacked. Kayden and I were just there.

"The reigning monarchs, King Azrael, Queen Ciarra, and Captain Newton Burraw, as well as many members of the royal guard, were found frozen in a dark magical entrapment. The royal guards searched the entire palace, but there was no trace of the beloved crowned royals."

I couldn't believe it. I refused to believe it. Edwin and Princess Evalyn were too smart to be hurt by dark magic or captured by attackers. The newscaster continued to talk of the attack and the effects that it might hold on the kingdom. But I refused to listen anymore.

With a scowl on my face, I turned the stereo off and stormed to the matriarch's room to rant about the news.

"Mum, I'm going on a walk."

"Are you okay Oltan?" My mum asked, concern laced in her tired eyes. I walked to her, and she shifted in her bed with a low grunt of pain.

"Hey, relax, don't strain yourself," I said, rushing to my mother with desperate motions, moving pillows around and comforting her in a bundle of soft blankets that I had previously stacked on the foot of her bed. Mum looked at me with honey eyes full of mirth.

"I'm okay darling, I'm much stronger than you think."

I smiled at her until I heard the high whistle of the tea kettle. Then my attention was brought toward the kitchen. I ran towards the stovetop and carefully took the steaming kettle off the heat. The water was scorching to touch, but perfect for tea.

I scoured the cupboards for tea bags until I came across three small bags full of Lucianise berry leaves. A special prescribed tea for mum's mysterious illness.

There have been theories that the plant, only native to the naimore woods, would be able to heal injuries and cure all ailments from runes. But I have realized that that might just be propaganda to gain more business.

My mum hadn't healed in the four weeks she's been drinking the blasted tea. But I had to take my chances, I needed her to get better.

I poured the boiling water into a tea mug before steeping the tea bag into the cup and walking to the bedroom where my mother rested. "Are you leaving for the town?" She asked as I placed the plain white tea mug on the bedside table.

I nodded my head and placed a quick kiss onto my mum's cheek before grabbing my olive green jumper I placed on the couch of our flat, and ran out the door with an "I'll see you in a bit!"