Chapter 5: Old Impressions

"I, Red Son, will find the powers of the Celestial artifacts with the Spider Queen's own venom, save my father and reforge the world as I see fit!" Red Son spoke with a menacing tone, followed by villainous laughter, MK and Mei watched with a shine in their eyes. "Ooh! Red Son, that was amazing!" "Such a good hero speech." Red Son finishes pouring the venom while overhearing the two, "It's a villain speech. My father did those often, so I wanted to try them. Heh, this was possibly my first and best one!"

"Okay, so what do we do now Red?" Pigsy calls from the back, "We do nothing. I have to add the ingredients in a very specific order." Mei and MK move closer to the furnace, "You sure you don't need an itty bit of help?" "No." "Not even a spec?" "No." Red Son pushes them away from her face, they were almost squishing them. "As I said, this order is very precise and complicated. And I've studied this stuff before, so I'd rather finish it myself." Mei looks over to the peach and pills, "But there's only two ingredients, Red."

"Aaand, I already chucked them in," MK yells and he watches the ingredients fall into the furnace. "WHAT!?" "You're welcome-" The liquid in the furnace explodes in a heap of smoke, knocking everyone onto the floor. After the smoke clears the crew sees the liquid in the furnace glow a bold yellow, "Ooh, I think it worked." Red Son smacks the back of MK's head, "What were you thinking!?" "H-Hey! It worked right!?" "Still, you could've messed up the antidote!" The two started getting into a heated argument, with Mei butting in at certain points.

"I told you I could handle it!" "It was just two ingredients!" "It doesn't matter! I can do this stuff on my own, I'm not a child!" "I'm not saying you are one! I just don't want you to get all fiery again! Your fire is-" "I can handle my fire, BY MYSELF!" With one final yell, Red Son's hair began to ignite, making everyone flinch back. Red Son stepped back at a realization, "I... ugh." Red Son began walking into the forest, as they walked away, MK soon got overloaded with guilt, "Wait Red-" "Mk, don't. I just need a breather." The team watched as Red Son vanished into the trees.

Minutes passed as they waited for her, Pigsy was pacing back and forth with impatience, "Where is he!? They haven't come back yet!" Sandy attempts at relaxing him, "Calm down Pigsy, Red Son needs time to relax." "Time to relax!? WE DON'T HAVE TIME TO RELAX! THE SPIDER QUEEN IS STILL INVADING THE CITY!" Tang nudges MK, "MK, can't you go talk to her?" MK sighs, "I don't know anymore! I worry for her, she gets mad! We try and calm him from burning everything, he gets worse! Every time we try to help, they just get mad at us for it!" "Maybe because they don't want you to do things for her."

"I know that! I just- Ugh!" MK huddles his body close pondering for a bit before finally getting onto his feet, "Alright, I'll talk to them." MK walks into the woods calling out to her, "RED SON! RED!!" Along the walk, MK runs into a few marmalade monkeys, eating bananas, and grooming each other and a few follow MK wondering where Monkey King was. "Monkey King isn't here, but don't worry! He'll be fine. Gimme a quick second... RED SON!!" MK peeked through bushes, on top of trees, behind rocks but sadly nothing, until...

"*GASP!* RED SON!" MK found Red Son sitting in front of a small river coming from Flower Fruit's waterfall. "Hey, Mk." "You mind if I sit here?" Red Son nods, MK sits next to her, keeping a small gap between them, "Look, Red, I'm sorry if I came off as... belittling or just overall rude. It's just when we were still living together, I felt like I needed to help you in any way I could. You were so new to this world and so clueless. I didn't want you going out there and causing unintentional harm to you or other people. I guess a part of me was still used to that. A part of me... missed it? *Sigh*, I don't know. Regardless, I'm sorry."

Red Son stayed silent for a bit, soon they shuffled closer to MK's side, still staring at the river. "I'm sorry too..." "Huh? For-" "For snapping so easily, I understand you were just trying to help but after the incident with my father, I remembered seeing all the damage and having this guilt but also felt this rush of motivation. To improve on my powers, improve on me, on my own." MK felt heavyweights of guilt on his back as they continued talking, "Again, I get why you wanted to help, but there are times when I'll need your help and times when I won't."

"I get it. Sorry, Red." "It's okay. I'm sorry as well." MK looks at Red Son directly, he felt their heart jump out of his chest. The reflection of the water, and background greens combined with Red Son's tough yet soft side profile made MK fall harder than ever. MK forgot how much he loved her, he wasn't even sure if they could describe it enough. Red Son inhales and gets to his feet, "Alright. We should get back, we have a city expecting us." MK facepalms as his memories snap back, "Oh right! Yeah, let's go! Don't wanna keep everyone waiting."

"GREAT! FIRST RED SON NOW MK!?" Pigsy was already assuming the worst, meanwhile, Mei paced around the furnace, "Where are they?" Rustles were heard from the trees in front as the two returned from inside, "There you are!" Mei jumps into Red Son's arms, "I'm sorry!" "It's okay Mei!" Red Son returns the embrace, MK steps to the furnace, glowing with the antidote inside, "Alright. Time to take the fight back to the Spider Queen and end this nightmare once and for all." "How? Those spider people aren't just gonna line up for a sip." " And even if they did, are we forgetting about Spider Queen? She defeated the Monkey King! How are you-"

"We'll find a way! We always do." Everyone's determination grew as MK finished speaking, "Well, I might have an idea." Sandy pulls out a remote, and with one button press, water shooters pop out of the ship. Mei and Red Son cheer at the sight, "With this, we might have a chance!" The crew hops on the ship, with the antidote, as it sails into the horizon straight back to their spider-filled city.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I think my writing got lazier with this one... but still I wanted to extend the mountain scene just for Red and MK. Anyway hope you all like this one, see you at the next one!