Chapter 21: Taunted

I couldn't help but look at his built abdomen. I can admit that he looks hot as heck, but that's something I will never reveal to him. "You're staring a lot. If you want to hop in, feel free."

I winced upon hearing him.

"No way! Why do you even want me to stay here? Pervert!" I said, rolling my eyes to ease the sexual tension.

"Nothing. I just want to make sure you're safe."

My heartbeat paused for a moment and butterflies swarmed my stomach. "Alright," I said and looked away to hide my blushing face. For about an hour, I stayed with him there and he told me stories about his rough childhood, being a future alpha and all.

I did sympathize with him a bit. Glad he found the courage to open up to me. After his bath, we came out of the bathroom.

After dressing up, he came to the sofa and was about to lay down, but I stopped him and said, "No, you use the bed!"

"No," I frowned as Parker tried to lay on the couch, "You're sleeping in the bed."

"Hmm?" he hemmed and looked at the bed. "That's fine, but I want you to sleep next to me if I use the bed."

Thinking about it for a moment, I heaved and crossed my arms. "Fine, but stay on your side."

...

"Wow, he did stay on his side of the bed," I mumbled, looking at Parker's peaceful sleeping face. It made me smile how kind he looked right now. The next thing I knew, I was already sleeping with a fleeting feeling.

...

For the following week, Parker has somehow forced me to come to therapy. I eventually came around and stopped resisting, and part of the reason was Ariana and my own instinct.

Recently, I've been feeling a lot warm towards him. I would even find myself smiling at the thought of touching his body. Creepy, I know, but there's a valid reason for that. He's my mate, so it's bound to happen. Thankfully, Parker has also been away for the past couple of days to deal with a rogue problem or something.

Although Parker didn't exactly share what was happening, I completely understood that he would talk about it when the right time comes. For the meantime, I needed to focus on getting better.

After a couple days of therapy, I felt like I was getting a lot better. Kyra has been taking care of me and my needs. She would drive me where I wanted to go and offered to cook meals for me. On the other hand, Mary would also call me often. It was a unique feeling having this much people care about me. It was actually enough to make me tear up.

Unfortunately, some nightmares would occur to me whenever I slept alone. Just like now, I jolted awake from a particularly horrible dream, and Dennis was involved. I've learned in therapy that taking slow breaths and thinking of calming scenarios helped, so I did just that.

My efforts were proven futile, however, because it was difficult to think of a calming scenario. Actually, not that difficult. It's just... unacceptable. The only calming scenario I can ever think of is sleeping next to Parker.

"Go ahead..." I heard Ariana say at the back of my mind. With that, I sighed, and my feet stood up on their own and raced downstairs.

The yearning I had for Parker was incomprehensible. It was hard to resist, but much harder to decipher. Reaching the door of his bedroom, his citrusy scent immediately wafted through my nose. He smells so good.

With pursed lips, I pushed open his bedroom door and came inside with slow and steady strides. I nestled next to his bed for a few moments to watch his calm, sleeping face. Yes, this is indeed a calming scenario. Who would've thought that he would be this defenseless against me? Ha!

Wasting no time, I climbed up his bed to lay next to him. The blanket covered his lower half, so I grunted in disappointment. Just then, I felt a fast and swift movement next to me, and before I knew it, Parker had already pinned me against the soft bed. My eyes widened, but not in fear, in excitement.

"What are you doing here? And what do you mean defenseless?" he questioned with glinting eyes, making my legs squirm. Still I kept my brows crossed.

"It was a joke. Chill! I just wanted to sleep next to you." My snide tone made him smirk.

"You want to sleep next to me, eh?" he repeated, seemingly proud of himself. Then, he playfully added, "Just sleep? Nothing else?"

I grew nervous upon hearing his question. I might fold any time, but I needed to be strong.

"Don't think too much of it. I just want to sleep next to you because I'm having nightmares, and your presence keeps me calm."

I didn't know why I became so honest by the end of my sentence. Somehow, I regretted that I said that, but it was also a great feeling to convey this complex emotion that has been boggling me.

Somehow, I expected Parker to laugh in my face and shake his head to tarnish my womanhood. However, he did the complete opposite. His eyes turned glassy, and his lips quivered a little. I could feel that he was flattered by what I said, but I just didn't get it. "Okay..." he muttered and gently pulled away from me.

Then, he laid beside me and even put a fort of pillows in between us. "Just shake me up when you need anything," he said and looked away from me. His back greeted my sight as I looked at him.

A gentle smile escaped my lips.

"Thank you," I muttered in sincerity.

"It's nothing. Good night, Aubrey..." was his last words before I fell into dreamland. For the night, I had a great time sleeping.