Chapter 28: Caroline

Brian is unpacking his box as he settles into his new office. Recently he became Second Lieutenant of the Marine Corps. Which means he gets an even bigger office. A knock sounds on the door. Without looking to see who it is he instructs the person to enter.

"Brian, darling it's so good to see you," the familiar voice says.

Looking up he is eye to eye with his and Diana's wedding photo. The voice that just spoke doesn't sound like his wife's. Not the soft Americanized British accented voice he's loved for the past five years.

Turning around he's surprised to see his ex-fiancé Caroline standing in the doorway.

"Caroline, what are you doing here?" he asks confused.

"I came to see you silly. Now I know that's not how you greet the woman you once called the love of your life," she replies slowly walking towards him letting her fur coat slowly slide off. Revealing a skimpy black dress with dangerously high heels.

Letting out a small laugh, he moves to the other side of his desk. "You still didn't answer my question, Caroline, what are you doing here?"

"As I said, I came to see you. I miss you, Brian," Caroline purrs.

Thankfully this wasn't seven years ago when he was still in love with her, he would've believed her.

"I find that hard to believe, I have seen you in seven years. What happened to you and Brad? I thought you two were getting married, isn't that why you left me in the first place?" he says as he continues to unpack his box.

"We did get married, but it didn't work out. Thankfully my lawyer was able to get me enough money to keep me warm at night. But...not as warm as it used to be with you," she replies walking towards him.

"Caroline, I'm sure you are aware that I am married. Happily married with four kids."

"Oh yeah. You snagged yourself a model, what's her name, Diana?"

"It's Diana Spencer, Mrs. Williams if you are going to address her."

Caroline giggles, "I miss the take-charge attitude of yours," she says as she backs Brian into a corner.

"Caroline, you need to go. There is no reason for you to be here. What we had is over."

"Is it Brian? Look into my eyes and tell me it's over."

Looking her straight in the eye, "It's over Caroline, it's been over. I am happily married."

"You know you look so sexy in your uniform," she replies rubbing his chest.

Sighing he grabs her wrists and gently moves her away from him. "Caroline it's over, and I'm happily married. You need to leave."

"Fine, just know you haven't seen the last of me, Brian Edward Williams," Caroline pouts as she picks up her coat off the floor before leaving his office.

Once Caroline is gone, he puts his head in his hands. He feels a headache coming on.

"Diana honey, I'm home," he announces as he enters the foyer.

"Welcome home Lieutenant Williams," Diana replies greeting him with a kiss.

Smiling he kisses his wife again. "At ease soldier," he replies before smacking her rear.

Giggling, Diana wraps her arms around his neck before she gives him another peck. "I'm so proud of you baby."

"Thank you, it means a lot coming from you babe. Where are the kids?"

"In Harry's room, he's letting them play with his PlayStation while he does his homework."

"That explains why I didn't hear a stampede coming down the hallway," Brian smiles.