I. Perils of a Newly Turned Mentor

ACT ONE: CHAPTER ONEPerils of a Newly Turned Mentor• ───────────────── •

Perils of a Newly Turned Mentor
• ───────────────── •

Kassiani had never known what it meant to live in luxury, having grown up in a world where food was a luxury and work was a necessity. She'd toiled since she was just a young girl of eleven, struggling to keep her family's head above water. But now, in this sprawling mansion that dwarfed her childhood home, she found herself surrounded by more wealth than she could ever imagine. It had been a year since she had emerged victorious from the Hunger Games, yet she still felt like a fraud, a pretender in her own life.

Everything had changed, and Kassi couldn't help but long for the days when she shared a cramped room with her parents and made do with whatever scraps they could scrounge up. At least then, they were together and content. But now, with her mother dead and father drowning his sorrows in drink, Kassi felt more alone than ever.

As she trudged through the parched streets of District 10, her mind drifted back to the Victor's Village where she now called home. It was a lonely place, inhabited only by her and Kohver, the victor of the games almost twenty-five years prior. Kohver had been her mentor during her own games, and though he was far from warm, he was one of the few people she had left besides her father.

As Kassi pushed open the door to Kohver's house, she felt a familiar sense of comfort. She often stopped by with groceries, knowing that the gruff victor never had anything in his pantry.

"Kohver, it's me. I brought meat!" Kassi announced, holding up a bag of freshly cut beef. Livestock was the district's main industry, but there was never enough to go around. The Capitol took what they wanted, leaving the rest to fend for themselves.

A large figure appeared in Kassi's peripheral vision, lumbering down the staircase. "What'd I say about bringing me stuff?" Kohver grumbled, but he was already reaching for the bag. Together, they put away the groceries, Kassi making sure to stock the pantry with everything she knew Kohver liked.

"Well, I can't have you starving now, especially when you're all I got," Kassi said, a soft smile tugging at her lips. She knew Kohver had a soft spot for her, despite his gruff exterior.

"I asked for them to cut the parts you like. Also got some eggs." Kassi had never been able to afford such luxuries before, but now, with all the money in the world, she could spare a little for the man who had helped her survive the games. Plus, taking care of Kohver and her dad was one of the only things keeping Kassi sane, and preventing her from ending up like Shireen, the former victor who had taken her own life a couple of years ago.

Kohver was quiet, lost in thought. "How you feeling 'bout tomorrow?" he asked finally.

Reaping day. Kassi had tried to push it out of her mind, but it was always there, but in all honesty, how could she?