Chapter 2: Cherry

NO ONE'S POV:

(Sirens wail in the background as we see the trio still in the store.)

Hughie: So, you're-you're not Feds?

Butcher: Do you hear that? That's the old bill. So unless you want to explain why you've got America's favorite invisible wanker dead on the floor, join us in the fucking car.

(Y/N): Or don't. Your choice.

Hughie: Aw, shit.

(Cut to the trio in the car with Butcher driving.)

Butcher: All right, listen, I have worked for the Feds. I've worked for loads of people. I'm what you might call an independent contractor. You got a problem, you call me, I solve the problem.

(Y/N): I'm here for a crack at Homelander. That's it.

(There's pounding coming from the trunk causing the three to turn back.)

Hughie: What is that?

Butcher: That's a problem.

(Y/N): Yeah.

Hughie: Oh, thank fuck, he's alive. Yes, yes, he's alive! Okay, pull over.

Butcher: No, no, no, Hughie, you don't fucking get it.

Hughie: Pull the car over.

Butcher: This is a fucksight worse. He's seen our faces.

(Y/N): Not mine but I won't leave you guys.

Butcher: That really makes me feel better, (Y/N).

Hughie: Oh, my God. No, no, no. I can't do this. I can't do this. Let me out. Let me out. Pull over!

Butcher: Hughie, you walk away now, and you will never get payback for Robin. You'll spend the rest of your life sitting on your ass with fucking regret. Now, is that what you want? I know a bloke. Top man. He'll know what to do.

(Cut to them at this top bloke's place where a woman opens the door & she touches Hughie & Y/N's faces before letting them inside.)

Butcher: You'll both love this guy. Frenchie. Oi, Frenchie.

Frenchie: Monsieur Charcuter. Huh. This is a surprise. Good to see you.

Butcher: Good to see you, too, mate.

Frenchie: Means you brought that 40,000 you owe me? [sniffs] I mean, why else would you show your face around here?

Butcher: Because I've got something even better for you. How would you like to double your money?

(They both laugh.)

Frenchie: The double of zero is zero. Who are they?

Butcher: These guys? Oh, this here is Hughie Campbell and (Y/N) Batson. We're, uh, working a little job together.