*TWO*

"On the behalf of the Jinnah International Airport team, we welcome you to Karachi and wish you a great stay."

The air hostess voice rang through the loud speaker, as Meerab and her father made their way through the long dreaded lines of the airport.

"Meerab stay close to me, I don't want us to be seperated".

Her father reminded her as he hastily pulled her with him to the least crowded checking line. Not that it was any different than the others, soilders lined the walls, while the staff directed passengers to the correct gates, next to them officers barked at passengers to quickly take out their passports, in others words it was total chaos, but the kind that Meerab relished.

She didn't know why but ever since she was a child, Meerab loved the crowded and chaotic airports of Pakistan, there was a liveliness she got to experience that was unlike any another.

And Meerab couldn't downcast the sense of place and home she felt when she set foot on this part of the hemisphere, America was where she achieved her goals, work for her dreams an traveler's inn to their destination per say, but Pakistan was her true home, her destination.

Although, living on different soil Meerab was an true pakistani at heart, her love for her nation and its people could not rival any other. At least for now that is...

"NEXT"

The female hostess yelled across the facility, pointing at oblivious Meerab and her father. Meerab turned to look at her father to find him, already pulling their passports out of his backpack. Noticing the grim conditions of the airport, her father roughly hauled her towards the station, as the air hostess sighed for what was the hundredth time, since their arrival.

After completing their check in. Meerab and her father were hauling their luggage towards the exit of the airport, thanks to the clingy staff waiting at the luggage retrieving line for incoming passengers, they were able to find their baggage in no time.

As Meerab and her father made their way out of the airport. Meerab was in awe of the stary night sky of Karachi, even in darkness the city felt full of life.

"Mr. Siddiqi"

Meerab and her father sharply turned around to find, an middle age man wearing a white traditional dress paired with a stale waistcoat, completing the look with an cream pathan hat.

His face held an dim smile, if it even could be called one, but Meerab knew that was the most one could expect from the man, immediately breaking into a sprint towards him, she called.

"Bakatu!"

Bakatu's disappointment of a smile turned into a grin, as he noticed Meerab running towards him. Reaching his hand out to give love, he lovingly patted the head of the only girl that was able to make him feel a father's affection.

Mr. Siddiqi smiled as well for the first time in 2 days, hugging his dear friend.

"It is very good to see you and betiya again, Malik".

Bakatu said looking at the father and daughter duo, as if he had been waiting an entirety for this very moment.

Mr. Siddiqi smiled at his friends delight, as he patted his daughter's head affectionately.

"We are too Bakatu, it's been far too long".

Agreeing Bakatu patted his companion's arm solemnly.

"Far too long, Malik."

                       ************

"Betiya, Sab we have arrived".

Meerab was harshly awakened from her slumber by Bakatu's voice, as she came into consciousness. Getting up from the uncomfortable car seat, she took in her surroundings, and immediately recognized the grand gates of the Khan Haveli.

Meerab's father opposite to her also awakened by Bakatu's voice took in his surroundings. As Bakatu hauled the car through the long driveway of the Haveli. Meerab felt a pang of sadness, knowing what waited behind the walls of the giant mansion.

She felt wetness across her cheeks, as she quickly wiped her tears to console herself. Meerab never shown her tears to anyone, not even her parents, it was a part of herself she thought was too vulnerable to put on display for others, it was a part of herself she kept sacred.

Meerab hated being seen as helpless, she had seen over the years how weakness could be used against one, and so with the promise of never being used she shut down her weakness.

The car halted to an stop, as Bakatu exited the car moving to retrieve the luggage from the trunk.

Meerab glanced at her father, but he seemed lost in his own thoughts looking at the window as if he was chasing something with his eyes in the distance.

"Abu, were here". Meerab reminded her father as he sharply turned around to look at his daughter.

He straightened his back, and wiped the invisible tears from his eyes.

Mentally preparing himself, he took a deep breath, hardening his features as if he was about to be sent into a battlefield.

"Let's go".  Her father spoke with resolve, determination set ablaze in his carmel eyes.

                   ****************

"Beta we have missed you so much."

Meerab's aunt cried as she gripped Meerab into an smashing hug nearly knocking Meerab herself down.

"I have missed you too Maa Begum."

Meerab comforted her solem aunt, her aunt only blew out another cry as she let go of Meerab, wiping her tears with an tissue.

"Bhabi begum we are all here for you", Meerab's father attempted to soothe the sorrowful widow.

"If only you were here for us before, Ahmed."

Replied Meerab's aunt defectly, looking at Meerab's father with nothing but disappointment.

"Maa", Maryam attempted to deescalte her mother's hostility.

"It's alright Beta, your mother is in grief right now."

Meerab's father humbly interjected, allowing the tension in the room to ease.

Attempting to change the subject, Meerab's father asked "Where is Murtasim?"

Scanning the room containing the two men and four women, the next heir was nowhere in sight.

For the first time since the arrival of Meerab and her father, her balmy attired uncle spoke with dejection.

"We haven't seen him since the miserable news", said Anwar.

Revised 4/1