Chapter Nine

Throughout the night, there hadn't been any sign of more shadowed beasts prowling through the trees or close to the borders. I couldn't tell if that was a good or bad sign. Considering we needed to leave the barrier one way or another, I prayed we didn't run into any more of them.

Morning arrived all too slowly, Haera's silence following us like a lone wolf searching for a pack to belong to — it wasn't too present whilst we were trying to sleep, but it was still there watching us from afar. My sister hadn't spoken a word, no matter how much I tried to apologise. All I received was a wall of quiet.

Larc didn't have much luck either. He had decided to only wear the trousers as he hadn't wanted to tear a hole in the back of the shirt to get his shredded wing through, offering it back to Haera so she could keep it safe. The Dragon-born had also been met with the same silence I had encountered.

Even throughout breakfast — which was another helping of the same rations we had for dinner — her stubborn quiet wrapped around us like a rope, pulling tighter and tighter until there wasn't much air left to breathe. It was getting too much, but I didn't know what to do. She was angry with me and Larc and it was a near-impossible task to get her to change her mind.

Once he had finished his food, eating every piece this time, Larc pulled out a book with a deep blue cover from one of the satchels and held it out for Haera to take. "This is for you."

"What is it?" Were the first words that left my sister's lips — a question filled with a snarl. "Is it laced with poison?" She poked it with a dagger, using the blade to lift up its front cover just in case,

The Dragon-born rolled his eyes. "It's a book your sister and I found in the tower yesterday. Zofia mentioned it's the sought of literature you read, so I kept it to give to you. It's not poisoned, I promise."

Haera looked over to me to confirm his confession.

"It's true. I can also promise you it's not poisoned, just maybe a little dusty." When we were searching the library and Larc had come across the book, I had been mostly joking that he could give it to her as a peace offering. Never did I think he would actually do it.

Haera cautiously took the book from his hands and inspected the front and back covers, reading the blurb with a smile I could see she attempted to hide.

"I know it won't make up for all the stress I've caused you, but I hope it can at least end the silent treatment we've been getting," he explained, watching and assessing her every reaction.

My sister pouted, a sign of her defeat. "Fine. Thanks, I guess." She tucked the book into the satchel that held all her weapons and rested her arms on her crossed legs. "We should start the blood oath as soon as possible so we can set off soon. There's precious sunlight that we're losing.

"Ah, right," Larc replied, his gaze darkening. "You finally decided that you're going to come up the mountain then?"

"It's not like I'm going to be able to change Zo's mind about helping you, so instead of dragging her all the way back to the village, I thought I would tag along to save her from her kindness." When I frowned at her words, she added, "sorry, Zo. You're too nice to soldiers who are supposed to be our enemy."

"I doubt all the Dragon-borns are murderous and horrible if Larc is like this," I pointed out. What if more people like Larc wanted to stop their queen? It didn't seem likely, but it was still a possibility.

"I doubt too many of my past comrades would share the same opinions as me," he responded with a grimace.

"Anway," Haera began, "it's time to do the blood oath."