The Buried Truth

Enzo

I ask Lydia about the incident she had that made her fear singing alone.
She tells that she used to participate in musical theater when she was a child. Once she had a voice crack in the middle of the performance and everyone started laughing at her. She stood in front of a hundred people, lights focused on her, she could hear nothing but their giggles, she was sweating, her hands were shaking, and she was barely breathing properly. At that age, she lost confidence in her voice.

Lydia has the same past problems; she's allowing people to judge her, and she cares a lot about their comments. I had Mia next to me to help me get over my lack of confidence, however, Lydia has no one, and no one ever showed her how to take care of herself. What she really needs is someone who shows her how to accept herself and not someone who'll only stand by her side and tells her that everything will be okay while nothing is changing.

I'll be next to her, and I'll help her get over her fears.

"You'll be okay". I say putting my hand on her shoulder." I'm with you". I add smiling and she thanks me with her radiant grin.

Today's first lesson was canceled because the teacher was absent. I sit in the cafeteria and order a black coffee.

I'm listening to "Forever" as usual, my first song, while I'm scrolling on the internet. Suddenly I see her photo. I zoom in until I'm able to see her face clearly. It's really Mia!

Who put the picture on the Internet and how did he get it?

I click on the news that shared her photo and I start reading:" The police have finally arrested a serial killer in Ohio, and they have been looking for him for years now. He managed to escape from them, but this is his dead end".

The serial killer has been going after a certain type of girl and Mia was one of them.

I look closer at the photo of the killer and it's Jared.

I take off my earphones and I'm hardly holding my phone from falling out of my shaky hand, my vision is getting almost black

"Good morning". A familiar voice I guess says, I'm not really sure about the speaker because I couldn't hear it clearly because of the beep in my ears.

I walk away from that voice and I get out of the campus. I scroll down to the letter "P" on my phone contacts, and I dial Philip.

"Answer the phone, Philip, answer the fucking phone!". I say to myself waiting for him to pick up.

"Who's talking?". He asks.

"It's Enzo.... Enzo Rider". I remind him of me because I'm sure that he forgot me after all these years.

"Oh, hey Enzo, how you doing?".

"Save it, Philip!". I tell him.

I jog his memory about the time he told me that Mia had been killed by a thief, his father was responsible for her case.

"Yeah, I remember". He says.

"Then why your brother is that fucking thief you talked about?". I ask.

I'm sure Philip lied to me, he knew that his brother was a psychopath, and he was going after Mia, although he lied to me. His father must have covered up Jared's crimes just to protect him from going to prison. Their father doesn't care about anything, he's ready to sacrifice the world to protect them.

"Why didn't you tell me? Maybe I could have protected her if you fucking warned me from your punk brother". I bawl.

"I'm sorry Enzo!". He apologizes.