15. If the walls could talk

Patrizio's Point Of View

I have made too many mistakes in my life, but I knew that it would be an even bigger mistake if I kept Bella from her mamma for much longer.

  It is true that I separated Veronica from her daughter, but I never let Bella feel lonely for a second. I put her in my bungalow in Madrid and left Florencia in charge of taking care of her. Florencia is a capable nanny, I trust her. I made sure she was put in a good nursery school and taught by the best teachers. I bought her lots of gifts and clothes. But none of the above actions justify my behavior, I know that now.

The pure joy on Veronica's face when she reunited with her daughter made me feel even more guilty for keeping them apart. I was going to make it up to her, most certainly.

After the delicious dinner Veronica made, I retired to my room with a plan to surprise her. However, when she returned to the bedroom after putting the kids to sleep, I noticed that her countenance had dropped. She was sad for some reason.

"Veronica?" I cooed her name. She ran to me and wrapped her arms around my torso. She was sulking and sniffling, I knew something was wrong. I gently stroke her hair. "What is wrong?"

"I will never be good enough, am I?" Her shaky voice broke my heart even more.

"You are perfect, Veronica Russo. I am the one who isn't good enough for you"

She pulled out of my embrace and gave me a skeptical look. "You are toying with me, aren't you?"

"No. After everything I did to you, you still love my son. You care about my parents even though they haven't been the nicest to you. You care about me despite my shortcomings. Veronica, you are an Angel."  I planted a kiss on her forehead and wrapped my arms around her shoulders. I have always loved her scent... so wild, yet gentle and sweet.

"I am not Mira, and I never will be. You have to accept that"

I led her to the bed and showed her the surprise I planned. Red rose petals scattered all over the black mattress, I did the best I could.  "I don't want you to become Mira. I love you just the way you are, mia Vera".  I picked up the remote and turned on the music

She beamed, those bright, big brown eyes of hers shone in the light. How did I fall for her? When did she captivate me so? There is something about her skin that makes me want to caress it, and there is something about her lips that make me want to kiss her pain away. We danced to the slow blues, she rested her head on my shoulder as we swayed to the romantic song. We let ourselves get submerged in its lyrics and melody.

"Patrizio"

"Sí, mia Cara"  I answered in a soft voice.

"You know about my life as a sex worker, and your mamma hates my guts,". She chuckled, but I could hear the sadness in her tone. "Why do you want to be with me despite all these?"

"In case you haven't noticed, Mia Cara, I am a don and the son of Lorenzo Moretti. My father's terrible reputation precedes him in all of Italy, just as much as mine prevails here in Spain. So trust me, Cara, I am no better."

We stayed silent for a few more minutes, rubbing our hands all over each other's back. She lifted her head from my shoulder and looked into my eyes. "I love you, Patrizio."
She held both sides of my face gently in her hands and brought me in for a kiss. Her warm lips made contact with mine, and the spark flew. Our tongues took control from there, and so did our bodies. We undressed each other and found our way to the mattress, the music playing in the background. We both let ourselves get immersed in the sweetness of passion and sex. She wasn't afraid to take control and show me a different side of Veronica Russo. I was left in awe of this amazing woman who came into my life like a wrecking ball. If the walls could talk, they'd gossip about the best night of my life.

***

After a wild adventure, we lay in each other's arms, enjoying the ambiance. The scent of strawberries and roses lingered in the air as our naked bodies pressed against each other.

I swallowed hard at the next words that I am about to say... "Mia Vera"  I called.

She raised her head and looked at me. Then, she touched my chin and planted a kiss on my lips. "Hmm?"

I cleared my throat, My heart thumped loudly against my chest wall as I tried to figure out a way to say it.

This time, her face became laced with concern. She sat up and observed me. "What is wrong?"

I let out a slow exhale. "Mia Vera, I have made arrangements for you and Bella to leave tomorrow morning."