A Decision

Kim dug her nails into her knuckles as she clenched her hands. For five years she had managed to live her life without her gangster boyfriend, and had not heard from him since before he had been released from prison. She couldn't imagine what her friends had to say, so she braced herself for the worst.

Blanca straightened her back. "He came to the house, looking for you. He must have done his research and learned where we lived. He asked to see you and said he didn't want to spook you by coming to your home, so wanted our advice."

Kim's face drained of all blood. "When was this?"

"A few days ago," said Blanca.

She exhaled. "You are telling me this now? Why not then?" She got up and carried the empty mugs to the sink. She turned her back to her friends, pretending to wipe the counter so they couldn't see how her hands shook. She couldn't go back to the chaos, the lies, and the criminal charges.

Blanca replied. "I am sorry, Kim, but we debated whether to tell you at all after the stress he caused you. But in the end, we knew you had a right to know."

Turning back around, Kim nodded. "I never understood why they reduced his prison sentence. Did he tell you anything about that?"

Daniela shook her head. "No, he didn't, but I was surprised by that, too. All he said was that he needed to tell you something important and wanted to make amends. He did seem genuine about it. Maybe he's changed."

Blanca got up and dragged her back down to the chair. "I think he has changed. He seemed different. Prison must have changed him."

Kim sat again, leaning forward. "How did you leave it with him? What did you say?"

"We said we would speak to you and let you decide if you wanted to get in touch," Daniela replied. "He gave us his phone number. Think about it, but don't take too long. I got the sense he has something important to tell you."

Kim scoffed. "The only issue important to him would be his next drug fix. He fooled me before, lied and cheated. It is what drug dealers and addicts do. They lie and pretend they have changed, but he is the same, I am sure."

"Why don't you hear him out and make up your mind then? You haven't seen Manuel for five years. Listen to what he has to say," said Blanca.

Kim rose again. "Would you girls like another coffee or a glass of water?" They both shook their heads. "I need a drink of water." She headed back to the sink and poured a glass. Drinking it down soothed her parched throat and distracted her from thinking about the trauma of the past. "I loved Manuel so much, but he hurt me time and time again. I don't know if I can go through that pain again. He will draw me back into his life and I will be charmed by his looks, his words, his lies."

Daniela intervened. "I hear you, girl. You went through a lot with him, and it's your call. We thought we'd relay the news, but in the end, it's your decision."

"We'll support you all the way, Kim. Whatever decision you make," said Blanca. "Only focus on things you can control right now. We've got your back."

She sat down and squeezed Blanca's hand then patted Daniela's shoulder. "Thank you both. I will think about it."

Daniela handed her a sticky note. "Here's his number if you decide to call."

Kim took it and stared at the number and name. His scrawl hadn't changed over the years, but had he personally changed? Or was it an act?

Daniela got up. "I've got a class now, Kim. I'll talk to you during the week."

Blanca rose too. "Yeah, me too. Sofia and Eva are coming to our drinks night on Friday. You are coming, right?"

Kim nodded. "I would not miss a night out with Eva or Sofia. After what they have been through, they deserve a fun night out." She loved Daniela's sister, Eva, like her own. Sofia, Daniela's friend and fellow dance teacher had endured a lot, too.

She wrapped her arms around her friends and walked them to the exit. Locking the door behind them, Kim proceeded to tidy up the studio. After she finally locked up, she drove home, and decided to sleep on it before making a decision.