CHAPTER ONE

It's weird to not have to expect a snowstorm a day after we just had sixty degree weather.
Weird but not unwelcome.

The seaside warmth of California makes it hard to be stressed here, but not impossible.

I walk into my grandmama's quaint kitchen, the cool stone of her floors comforting against my bare feet. I grab a teapot from the wooden cabinets, fill it with water and leave it to heat up as I gather chamomile tea bags.

Anticipating my baby brother's awakening, I help my mom out and prepare his bottles. A high pitched whistle reminds me to grab the teacups and pour the tea.

I hold steady the cups of tea as I make my way through the small home to my grandmama's room. Stepping over plants as I go.

The sight of her looking so frail squeezes my heart. She's out cold but it's time for her to take her medicine. "Grandmama," I say gently and lightly shake her body. She stirs awake, disoriented. "Here," I reach out to set her tea on the nightstand and grab her set of pills.

This has become our routine. I make us tea and she takes her pills. It won't change because of school starting.

I watch as she takes them then peer inside the container to make sure that was all of them. "Baby, you don't need to watch me like I'm a child," my grandma mama fixes me with a stern look and sips her tea. If I had any thoughts that her being sick would change her personality, they were quickly diminished. My grandmama is as stubborn and sassy as always.

"I know. I just wanna make sure you didn't forget," I tell her. She shakes her head at me. "Don't let these wrinkles fool you. I never forget," she exclaims. I hold back a retort because I can name quite a few times she's forgotten.

Muffled cries bring me to my baby brother's room. I open the door and see him fussing in his crib. He's all unraveled in his yellow swaddle. His face contorted in a frown because this whole sleep thing is still new.

"Hi baby," I say. He continues to cry, the volume lowering to little whimpers. I walk into the kitchen with him bundled in my arms. "Is this what you want," I dangle his bottle in his face. "You don't need to cry, it's alright," I feed him his bottle and check the time. 7:35 AM. I got a few minutes.

The creak of the door echoes down the hall. "Sunny," the voice of my mom calls out. "Yes," I respond. "Did you grab him for me?" She asks. I walk towards her room. She sighs in relief when she sees me. "Oh you are a godsend, sweetheart," I put Sabeh in her arms. My mama grabs him and then looks at me. A small smile on her face.

"You look beautiful on your first day," she praises. I do a little spin. My floral skirt flutters outwards.

"Are you about to leave?"

"Yes."

"Okay, let me get a few pics," she gets out of bed and grabs her camera my dad bought for her birthday last year. She loves that thing. I fight an eye roll and follow her as she makes her way outside, Sabah still in her arms sucking away on his bottle.

The sun shines down on our home, and casts a warm glow of light around us. My mom lets me pose freely as she snaps some photos. I check the time again, 7:47.

"Okay, this is good," I stop her and grab my brown satchel. "C'mere,"my mom held out an arm for me. I hug her and she kisses me on the cheek. "Have a good day, baby," she gives me a warm smile, like she can transfer the confidence of a good day waiting to be had into me. "I will," I smile back and kiss little Sabeh.

I see my mom watch me as I walk ahead on the trail to school

"Bye," she waves. I wave back.

꙳ ✩ ꙳