5 || Golden-Eyed Yaksha

For the remainder of the journey, you didn't feel the uncomfortable presence any longer, but you did feel an uncomfortable sensation on your feet; though you had shoes, there were still wounds that weren't getting any better without proper rest. Frowning, you rubbed your ankle and sighed.

"You okay?" asked Aether as he combed through his golden hair with his fingers. The two of you were currently taking a break because of a particularly strong gust of wind that almost knocked Paimon away and was hard to walk through. Aether was redoing his braids while you sat on a rock and watched.

"Yeah," you replied, "my feet just hurt a little but it's no problem. We should hurry before the Millelith come."

"They'll put us in chains and make us eat only bread and soup!" Paimon wailed, her eyes circling because she was still dizzy from the wind.

With a chuckle, you remarked, "Just maybe, Paimon, but aren't you focusing on the food problem a bit too much? Prison doesn't just have bad food, you know."

This prompted the flying entity to flail her small hands in the air and pull Aether up from the ground, telling him to braid his hair faster. The boy shot you a playful glare before the three of you began walking up the trail again.

It was to your luck that you were already quite close. As you reached a flatter portion of the mountain, a voice startled you out of your exhaustion.

"And who might we be? Those that dare enter Jueyun Karst?"

A large elk with hues of cedar trees and sage walked forward, and you could immediately feel the power exuding from them. There was no denying that they were a mighty Adeptus. You stepped behind Aether, knowing the dialogue and—much like with Childe—not wanting to be the cause of a butterfly effect.

As the star traveler held a discussion about the Sigil of Permission with Moon Carver, the first Adeptus you remembered meeting in the quest, you recalled which other Adepti you had to meet. Xiao was first, and then came the other Adepti...

The shouts of the Millelith made you pick up the nearest stick you could find and immediately propel it at them. Beside you, Aether generated his sword in his hand and dashed forward with Paimon swirling frantically above him. You, too, began fighting some of the soldiers, ducking under their spears and swiftly kicking the back of their legs with a spin, making them fall to the ground. Soon enough, the soldiers ran away after giving cold but wary glares, daring not to disturb the Adeptus' peace any longer after such a pitiful defeat.

Moon Carver stepped forward, saying, "We've digressed. State your purpose, travelers."

As Paimon explained your situation, about the unforeseen death of Rex Lapis and how the Millelith believed you to be the assassins, you grit your teeth, trying your best not to give away that your feet felt as if they were in boiling water and rigid rocks. You couldn't let yourself be a burden to Aether and digress the plot. Moon Carver's booming voice brought you out of your thoughts.

"PREPOSTEROUS!!! How utterly disappointing...how could the Liyue Qixing place suspicion upon the attendees of the Rite of Descension?" Then with a sigh, the Adeptus declared, "Traveler, of the unjust accusations placed upon you, one has become aware. Take your Sigil of Permission and carry your message. Mountain Shaper and Cloud Retainer can be found here through fate. And the Guardian Yaksha, the Conquerer of Demons...Go to Wangshu Inn. There you shall seek him."

"Paimon thinks we should go to the Inn first, phew! It's been a long day," the flying being proposed, circling around you and Aether as Moon Carver disappeared over the horizon.

And with that, the three of you set off to the Inn.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════