Twinkling Stars

Lasagna for dinner was quite a Morgendorffer tradition, the entire family would enjoy it almost every night and so at the end of that day, which had seemed just as peaceful and ordinary as any other Friday, it was frozen lasagna once again that Quinn and Daria enjoyed together.

Quinn was now wearing her splendid new purple sweater, and the lasagna smelled really great even though it was far from homemade. It was well past 9:00 already, it would be bedtime soon for everyone and meanwhile Jake, frustrated as usual, was still trying to figure out what the problem with the alarm clock could be!

"You know what? I'll complain at the clocks shop tomorrow!"

"Perhaps it was just the batteries" Helen replied, a little worried to see that one of Jake's eyes was starting to get bloodshot again- "Enjoy dinner, Jake..."

"I already packed up everything!" Quinn said, now drinking plenty of water so that her skin would be fine and well moisturized for the following day- "Camera, individual camping tent, sleeping bag, forest boots, all beauty stuff... and I'll be wearing my sweater tomorrow!"

"What about you, Daria?" Helen asked.

"She has not packed anything yet!" Quinn revealed- "You better hurry up, Daria!"

"School trips are just a waste of money, and a way to torture those without social skills..."

"Thanks mom! I'll take a shower, and get ready for bed..."

Daria had not finished even half of her lasagna, Jake was now worried that his eldest daughter seemed even gloomier than usual, Helen sighed and meanwhile Quinn was already upstairs in her room as happy and enthusiastic as they had ever seen her.

Twenty minutes later Daria packed up indeed, though only because she was pretty much forced to do that, Quinn took a very long shower, Helen and Jake were getting ready for bed and so it was time to say good night to everyone and call it a day...

"Good night! Thanks, mom! Thank you dad! I loved my present!"

"Sleep well, kiddo! You are going to need it!"

"See ya, Daria!" Quinn said, waving for a bit as she walked past her sister's wide open door- "Just don't talk to me for the entire trip, you get that?"

"Fine..."

Quinn then walked into that sweet room of hers, a peaceful place with soft yellow walls and a comfortable pink rug, and since she was already wearing her favorite orange night shirt, she just turned the lights off and went straight to her four poster bed.

Everything was happiness in her wonderful life!

Quinn was so happy with the fashionable sweater that she had wanted for months, now she would get to meet the famous forest ranger that she was so smitten with and, on top of that, Daria was miserable and she knew that Sandi and Stacy would be so jealous of her.

It had been a perfect day, and yet Quinn discovered that, for some mysterious reason, now she could not fall asleep...

Quinn was just staring at her lonely room all around her in the dark, her mirrors, the ceiling and windows, a good thirty minutes passed and sleep would just not come to her at all. Jake, Helen and Daria were all snoring in the distance, a few night birds cried outside and there was nothing else that night, just the soft Lawndale wind.

What was happening here?

At some point Quinn, now feeling cold, distraught and suddenly sad for some reason that she could not quite understand, finally got out of bed and walked to have a look outside through her favorite window.

The countless stars twinkled in a vast and cold sky, so beautiful and desolate at the same time, it was a rather chilly night for that time of the year and a silent Quinn stood at her window for a very long time...

It was almost like the stars were trying to say something.

After some time admiring the starry sky in silence, Quinn Morgendorffer went back to her bed, and then, though quite slowly, she fell asleep in peace...