The Sting

The Sting

It is all about who to trust to get exactly there where you wanted to be. And G. Callen is not known for trusting anyone that easy.

[A sting ~ a confidence game, especially one implemented by undercover agents to apprehend criminals~]

A/N Although this story wasn't written before, the idea of writing it never left my mind. As ever, it is a work of fiction which means that names, characters, places, events and incidents are either the products of my imagination or used in a fictitious manner.

Feel free to read this chapter as well and leave me a review!

Kni®benrots

DISCLAIMER:
Recognizable characters are not mine, hopefully CBS & Shane Brennan let me just play with them. So far, I never heard any complaints from over the ocean.

o)o)o)o)o)o)o)o)o)o)o)

October 2019

Los Angeles || the gym, NCIS office of special projects

All sweaty after working his abs, Callen took his towel and wiped it over his face, watching how his partner was still working the dumbbells.
"You know I'm right, big guy," he stated. He adjusted the seat and weights of the leg press machine, got into position and started the five minute exercise. "Not arguing any longer, are you," he continued.
There was no comment indeed from Sam and although Callen knew he was right, he also was aware that getting sloppy wasn't what fit with Sam at all. Silently now he let his thoughts go over the fact that during the past years, the black Dodge Challenger was parked at the same places all the time, obvious for anyone who would harm the former Seal. Let alone if it were for the rest of the team. Near the Michelle at the harbor, in the neighborhood of the 'Squid and the Dagger' and on the small parking area near their headquarters. He let the weight come back as slowly as possible, straining his muscles, and slowly breathed out. The car was seen in several occasions when in pursuit, shoot-outs and at crime scenes. "Just saying Sam... change of cars ... new routine... or I pick you up ... all possible," he panted.

There was a glare from his partner who now changed the intensity of his exercise rhythm. "Not trusting my daily routine, are you, G?"

"Got nothing to do with trust...'n you know that."
Callen didn't know if that was true though. He DID trust his partner, yet there were too many people looking for them, he knew. There were the good guys but also the bad, who'd recognize this specific car by now. He wondered why it was only now that he realized this fact. Did it have to do with Hetty's statement some weeks ago, telling him that she considered retirement? The fact that he noticed how time and routine slipped through his fingers, which surprised him more than he ever considered before. Slowing down his exercise he said "Not that I don't trust you. It's just that... the routine. It can't be good. Gives me the creeps every now and then."

A chuckle came from his friend. "Every now and then? Come on... Just call it super-suspicious, paranoia perhaps."

Callen was about to argue Sam's words, but then a warning yell came from the door where Eric stood "Guys... Ops please!"

A grunt came from Sam who put the dumbbells high on the storage rack. "Tell us a shower is granted, Eric!"

The technical operator stretched his hand, showing five fingers. "Ochoa wants you up in five."

o)o)o)o)o)o)o)o)o)o)o)

Los Angeles || Ops, NCIS office of special projects

The doors slid open and closed immediately too when Sam and Callen came walking in. It didn't surprise them to see Kensi, Deeks, Nell and Eric already around. Having Louis Ochoa at Ops too wasn't new to them, but he hadn't been in the LA office lately. After all, Ochoa had offered Callen to be in charge during the periods when Hetty, nor John Rogers were there to lead the operations. There was a simple nod from the three of them to greet each other and once she'd noticed this, Nell Jones started her briefing.