xiii. the trade off

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"And we will do what, hide?" Aethelflæd questioned turning to them. Skade propped her chin on Luna's shoulder as she listened, normally Luna would shove her off but she was too busy pissed off at Uhtred to care.

"We will make an advantage out of this abbess, the hostages are dead men breathing. You cannot save them what we must do now is save the lives of your nuns and my men." Uhtred said and glanced at Luna and Skade with a frown.

"And Aethelflæd." Osferth added.

"Abbess?"

"Aye." The Abbess said with a nod.

"I will do it." A woman says stepping up but the Abbess waved her off.

"No, no this is my house. It's my responsibility, I will do it." Abbess says and walks outside.

"It is Hæsten, with no more than forty men, that I can see." Uhtred informed making Luna sigh in annoyance.

"Then let us fight them." Finan said making Luna glance his way.

"No, wait." Uhtred ordered as Aethelflæd gasped at whatever she witnessed outside.

"Lord, now?" Finan practically itching for a fight.

"We do nothing yet." Uhtred demands. Finan and Sihtric share a look, Sihtric fidgets with his sword ready for a fight. They wait for Hæsten to open the door before attacking. Hæsten and his remaining men run.

"We are trapped." Aethelflæd stated the obvious.

"Oh, wow. I did not notice." Luna deadpanned making Skade snicker.

"We're alive and they are twelve or thirteen men less." Uhtred said looking at Luna who shot him a dirty look.

"But we are trapped under a wooden roof." Aethelflæd stated.

"What do you suggest then, lady? That you give yourself over?" Finan questioned and only calmed down when Luna placed a hand on his arm.

"Yes, Hæsten's right. Why should I live when so many others have died." Aethelflæd said looking at them.

"I will not argue. I say we toss the whore out." Luna spoke with a tone full of fury, Aethelflæd flinched back at the harshness of it.

"Hæsten has never spoken the truth in his life. Do not say as much again, never of those men have died for no reason." Uhtred snapped walking to the princess and then turned to Luna. "And you, what has gotten into you?" He demanded making Luna scoff.

"Secrets never stay that way for long, Uhtred." Skade spoke moving to Luna's side with a smirk.

"And yet, Skade has been more honest than you have." Luna claimed looking at Uhtred before turning away with Skade following.