Chapter 20 Chunin Exams Part 4

It was the following morning; I saw the sun just about to start rising as I poked my head out of the tent, I was sleeping in. There were limited tents and spaces so all 5 of us shared one. It was cramped and uncomfortable, let’s just say I barley slept at all. I looked over at the other four, they were all soundly sleeping. Well almost soundly, Naruto was snoring which I’m surprised didn’t wake everyone else up. He was spread out with his arms above his head, he got really close to kicking Sakura a few times. If that happened…I think he would be wide awake and a few feet out outside the tent.

            I got out of the tent and stretched as I yawned. I really needed to wake myself up and try to be alert. With everything that happened yesterday and what Kakashi told me, we would need to be fully awake and alert to our surroundings. The thought of Orochimaru being here of all places…that jolted me right awake. I can’t believe he is back…and to know he attacked Sasuke…and he knows I’m here. To be honest, I am not sure how much he truly knows about me, I only had seen him a couple of times growing up and everything else were stories about him. I knew he was a traitor to the leaf, and he was evil and one of the three great sanin.

            I shook my head, He wants Sasuke…and we will have to keep an even closer eye on Sasuke. Not only to ensure the curse mark doesn’t consume him…but to ensure Orochimaru doesn’t get his filthy hands on him. He would have to take Sasuke over my dead body before I would eve let him touch another hair on his head. I became close with these three genin during our time together before the exams. I know I don’t really show it but…I do care for each one of them. I want to see them succeed…I want to see them become chunin and continue to do great things.

            I nodded my head in determination and looked over to see the sun peeking out from the horizon. I could see the light start shining off the trees and the damp grass. I took a deep breath in and made my way to the larger tent across from the infirmary. When I walked in there weren’t many people there…I guess no one is really a morning person…but then again they have all just been fighting for their lives the past 5 days. I went to grab some breakfast and I sat down inside the tent this time to eat. Since there weren’t many people around, I was able to eat in peace…or so I thought.  I felt a presence come closer and this person ended up sitting diagonal to where I was. I closed my eyes and sighed, who could it be this time. I opened my eyes and looked over and to my surprise it was Guy. He looked to be fully energized and ready for today. He began eating as I just stared at him, did he notice I was here?

            He swallowed and turned his gaze over to me, he gave me a faint smile.

            “Good morning, Isamu…why up so early? I didn’t take you to be a morning person.”

            I heard some distance in his voice I knew something was bothering him as well. I knew all of us Jonin were aware of Orochimaru’s presence in the previous exam, I’m sure that made everyone uneasy.

            “I’m not…but I think with everything going on and the preliminary’s today has kept my mind going…I didn’t sleep much last night either.”

            I started to play with my food, my appetite suddenly disappeared. I looked over and Guy laughed a bit and continued eating his breakfast.

            “It’ll be fine Isamu…all of the genin that are going to move on are all strong worthy opponents! I think these preliminary’s will be interesting at the least.”

            I nodded; he was right they would be. The preliminary’s, however, were not my biggest concern. My biggest concern was Sasuke…The Hokage made the decision to let him continue with the exams. We of course had to go along with the Hokage’s request however, I am worried about how Sasuke will do without using his jutsu or sharingan. I know he is a tough competitor but, without any of those against any one of these other genin…I really don’t know how he is going to do it. My other concern was of course Orochimaru…was he going to show up again? And when? These were all questions that would not be answered and left me on edge.