Netrunner

The sun had set on the beautiful California horizon. Darkness was falling over the neon city of dreams, or so they say. Jolee Rogue didn't see it that way. She knew the city was dirty, she knew people were suffering. She hid her fear as she made her way through the H8 apartment building. She makes her way to the 10th floor.

The door to the apartment slides open. She is greeted by her father standing over her, a disapproving look on his face. Fear set in the pit of her stomach as her mother appeared beside him. "This is the second time this week, Jolee. What do you have to say for yourself?"

"I-..." Jolee says, staring at the floor.

"Give up these dreams of bein' a merc." Her mother says, disapproval filling her facial features. "They're always endin' up dead somewhere. Give up these gonk dreams. Bein' a merc isn't what you think it is."

"I don't want to be you!" Jolee shouts suddenly. "I don't want to be a doctor in a clinic or workin' for those corpo cunts!" Her father crosses his hands.

"Don't you ever say that word again, Jolee." Her father says. "Not about Arasaka. I work for them, they're not our enemies. You're not allowed around those mercs. They're dangerous and they'll get you hurt or worse. That's it, no more sneakin' out. It's too dangerous for you to be out there." Jolee frowns.

"I'm not helpless." She says. In her parents eyes, she was a 12 year old who had no way of defending herself. However, she was mature for her age and she knew things they didn't.

"Then enlighten me," Her mother says. "What are you going to do if you get caught in the crossfire between mercs and the NCPD?" She questions Jolee.

"I learned Netrunnin'." The young girl says, looking away from her parent's disapproving eyes. "I know how to hide, keep out of sight.

Her mother gasps in surprise. "Netrunnin'? Do you know how dangerous that shit is? What if a real Netrunner fond you? They could fry your brain before you knew they were there." Her father growls.

Jolee's mother lays a hand on her fathers shoulder. "He is right. Netrunnin' is just as dangerous as bein' a merc. I want you as far away from either as you can be. No more leavin' the house, especially no more Netrunnin'." Jolee looks up at them, tears filling her eyes.

"But I'm good at it!" The girl protests.

"If they find you, they'll zero you." Her father says. He's always been the blunt one, trying to strike fear into the hearts of others. "Dead, just like that. Not gonna let you waste your potential on this gonk dream. The only way to the top is through the corps."

"Go to your room." Her mother sighs. "We're not done talkin' 'bout this.

Jolee sadly walks back to her room. She had gone a whole without them noticing, but they've started to become more vigilant at night. They were figuring out how and when she was leaving. She sighs as the door to her room slides open. She didn't realize how tired she was until she laid down. Instantly, her heavy eyelids dropped and darkness filled her vision.

Meanwhile...

"Annika, we've been through this before with her. She's not goin' to stop. When will this end, hm? she'll do somethin' worse and we'll just accept it." Annika shakes her head.

"I don't know Alizen." Annika says, turning away from him. "We gotta give her another chance. What else are we gonna do?"

Alizen was about to reply when there was a knock on the door. "I've got it." He says, leaving the room.

"Hello?" Alizen says, opening the door. A frantic man stood before him. He looked as if he had just been attacked. Blood dripped from a wound on his head.