Bideep Roy the reader who started writing

Short stories

Face-off

Upon entering the room Roy felt a chill in the air, half-lit by the spamming rays of roadside halogen lights, the room was soundless the air in the room was cold, somebody had left the air conditioner running. But why Roy asked himself, slowly he tried looking for the switchboard to turn on the lights, as soon as he turned the lights on he felt cold like somebody had stabbed him with a knife made of ice. Diptesh was laying on the floor soaked in blood. It didn't take much time for Roy to understand that he has entered into a world that he shouldn't have, with trembling legs he walked up to the blood-soaked body of Diptesh, a cut to the veins. Did he commit suicide? Roy asked himself, no it can't be Roy reconsidered the fact that Diptesh was not a guy who could commit suicide. Roy looked closely, the body was just laying on the floor, cold and pale the white formal shirt had blood all over it, Diptesh was still wearing the same formal dress that he wore when Roy and Diptesh met the last time 3 days ago in a nearby cafe and it was only then that Diptesh asked Roy to come over to his place on a Saturday evening.

Today was Saturday and the clock showed that it was 6 past 20 Roy sat down on the floor and re-arranged everything that was going on. Roy whispered " me and Dip we met at the cafe last Wednesday and after that meeting Dip never called me or texted, Dip never came to the office also, so he came back to his apartment, sat down with a knife, and killed himself and since then he was just laying there on the ground, but wait he left the ac on as he knew that his body will start to rot and the smell of a rotten body can attract people outside. Roy shook his head and whispered again "that means he killed himself on Wednesday and was laying dead since then but how can that be? He is having a maid who comes regularly and then there is his girlfriend and also the neighbors visit him often then how can it be?" no answers came to Roy's mind his conscience became foggy. This is not a story written by Haruki Murakami this is reality a man is laying dead soaked in blood. Roy again whispered " should I call the police? They may suspect me as the murderer wait a minute where is the blade or the knife that Dip used for cutting the veins?" Roy looked around and made an inspection of the rooms, the dressing room was well organized, the kitchen too, and nothing suspicious about the bathroom also. Then Roy went to the kitchen again and took a close look at the wooden knife holder, yes the chef's knife was missing the knife that was the sharpest of all the other knives. "That means he used the chef's knife to kill himself" Roy whispered to himself. "But where is the knife now" Roy whispered again. Something ominous had happened and Roy was utterly clueless. He formed everything chronologically first he opened the door,the door was unlocked, the lights were off and Dip was already lying down on the floor. He whispered again "that means Dip or whoever it was never locked the door but intentionally or unintentionally left the ac on, if it was dark then it would have been hard for Dip to cut his veins and if somebody else had done it then that somebody else before leaving turned off the lights hmm that makes sense" Roy stood there at the kitchen thinking about all this and a sudden ring of the doorbell startled him. "Who might it be?" Roy whispered and then slowly closed the kitchen door without making any sound, through a little hole in the door Roy watched. The bell rang 4times then someone opened the door, entered the room, and then closed the door again, nonchalant by the laying corpse the stranger looked around. "He must be wondering who turned the lights on" Roy whispered to himself.

The stranger was a guy dressed in black, face covered in a mask, a tall guy with broad shoulders, the stranger looked around then sat in front of the Dip's pale blood-soaked body.

Like the stranger was trying to examine something. Roy's heart was beating like a steam engine. Silently Roy took out the butcher's knife from the knife holder and slowly opened the door without making a sound he stood behind the stranger and then said " hands on the floor where I can see them" the stranger took out his hands from his pocket and put them on the ground and slowly he turned around. "Open your mask but slowly," Roy said calmly. The stranger's left hand reached for the mask and slowly pulled the mask down, the face was revealed. Roy stood there in a state of shock, behind the mask it was Roy himself same face same eyes. "But how can it be"? Roy asked the stranger replied "look at your watch" Roy took a look at his smartwatch, "Wednesday 7.13 pm" Roy recalled that he was wearing black that day and also had a mask on. That means.....