Pt 12: thats my girl

It was a snowy day. All of the tree branches in the gated community were covered in snow, and so were the mountain peaks that stood tall in the distance. I slowly inch out of bed when I realize Joel wasn't next to me. That's odd? I think to myself but brush it off nonetheless.

I walk through the cold house, shivering at the temperature as I wrap my arms around myself. I walk over to Ellie's room. She's not in her bed. Maybe it was just because I was an anxious person but my heart started beating faster as my palms became a little sweaty. "Joel! Where are you!" I yell throughout the house. No response.

I huff in annoyance, "it's fine, they're around here somewhere." I mumble to myself going down the stairs.

I walk over to the coffee pot to see empty hot chocolate packets on the counter and coffee already made. Where the hell did they go? I think hoping they didn't go on a hike of some sort considering it was heavily snowing outside.

I open the microwave to see there was a mug that had a sticky not attached to it with my name on it. I smile as I take the sticky note off, microwaving the mug.

Soon the timer beeped and I take the hot mug out. I decided to search for them now that my nerves had calmed down a bit. I slip my boots on and jacket, as I open the door. A cold gust of wind greets me, making it nearly impossible to shut the door from its force. I squint my eyes trying to see through the flurries as a stomp through the feet of snow.

They weren't in the front yard, so I walk around the house to the back yard. As I near the back yard of the house I hear the loud noise of ...thumping?

"Thwack! Thwack! Thwack!" This sound raises my curiosity, as the ground under me shakes subtly.

As I turn the corner of the house I see Joel cutting up wood with an axe effortlessly splitting the log in two. It was really hot. Despite the cold weather I could feel my cheeks flushing.
He then gives the axe to Ellie who was bundled up, looking like a marshmallow. She gave it a try, but wasn't nearly strong enough, as she hands the axe back to Joel.

"Y'all are gonna get frostbite!" I say walking towards them.

"It's probably warmer out here then it is in the house,"  Ellie yelled muffled from the scarf, I laugh at her response.

"Mama get back in the house, I've got it handled. You too Ellie," Joel says before swinging the axe chopping yet another piece of wood in two. By now there was a fairly large pile of wood next to him.

Ellie grabs her mug of hot chocolate as she waddles over to me, as we both walk into the house.

"Your right it is freezing in here," I say taking my jacket off.

"Well let's hope Joel's got it handled," Ellie says mimicking Joel's voice, as she crosses her arms.

I laugh taking a sip of my coffee, looking at the clock seeing it was only 8:30 "What time did you get up at?" I ask looking at Ellie.

"Well Joel told me to get up around 6:00, bribing me with a donut. But I don't think there's any donut in my future," She says laughing, "But there is hot chocolate!" She laughs holding up her thermos.

I started getting worried about Joel as he had been outside for a long time, soon though he comes storming through the front door with a pile of split logs in his hands.

"Finally! Freezing my fucking ass off in here!" Ellie sasses to Joel in her jacket and snow pants still.

"Yea same," I say sitting on the couch with a jacket, hat and mittens on.

"Very funny," Joel says sarcastically, as he places the logs near the fireplace. 

"Well how are you going to make a fire? Aren't the logs wet?" I ask confused how they would light assuming they were wet.

"Like I said- I've got it handled sugar, don't worry your pretty little head," Joel said to me focused on the fire.

"Don't mind if I do," I say yawning and turning over as I fall asleep.

                                       .................

When I wake up I smell the aroma of burning firewood, I was also extremely sweaty in my jacket, mittens and hat.

"Thank the lord," I say stretching as I rip my layers off, so I was just in my pajamas.

Ellie was sitting in front of the fire playing with it as she was lighting sticks on fire, "hey cut that out, we don't need the house on fire too," I say taking the stick from her and throwing it in the fire.

"Where's Joel?" I ask Ellie, "upstairs he said he was gonna take a nap too," She says laying like a starfish on the floor.

"Thanks kiddo. And don't mess with that fire anymore," I warn Ellie walking up the stairs.

"I won't!" I hear Ellie yell from the downstairs. I laugh though because I know she's going to do it anyways.

I slowly open the door to the bedroom I shared with Joel. The fan was on the highest setting as he was sleeping peacefully.

I climb into bed as I wrap my arms around him. I loved being the big spoon. His eyes slowly flutter open "shhh it's just me, go back to bed," I whisper soothingly scratching his head.

"No is fine," he says shifting a little kissing me on the cheek, "I just wanted to take a quick Power Nap anyways," he says now fully awake as he props himself on his elbow.

I get up slowly as I shut the bedroom door fully making sure I lock it. "What are you doing?" Joel smirks, as I walk over to him, "You looked so hot this morning," I breathe getting on top of his lap taking his shirt off as I grasp the hair on the nape of his neck, kissing his muscular shoulder, "There's nothing more sexy than a man who can take care of his family," I say kissing his chest.

"Oh honey," he groans as I bite his earlobe going down to his neck, "I need you, badly. It was so hot seeing you chop the wood so effortlessly,I could barley contain myself Joel" I ramble taking my shirt off  in a rushed manor, leaving Joel in awe at my chest.

"I may need you even more sugar," he says pushing me onto the bed, hovering over me, leaving me breathless as the kisses he placed down my torso.

"You gotta stay quiet," Joel says looking up at me through his eyebrows as he unties the drawstring of my pants.

"I'll try," I moan quietly my head knocking back as my hands grasp at the roots of his hair.

"That's my girl," Joel whispered.