December 21st: Movie

"I'm willing to watch ONE movie with you." Alhaitham groans in defeat. Kaveh has been bothering him all morning, insisting that they watch a Christmas movie because it's tradition.

'Yes, because traditions are formed before you've even done it once.' Alhaitham thinks to himself.

Not wanting to leave room for argument, Kaveh tries to dash back into his apartment, but Alhaitham stops him. "I have one condition," he says, "I despise most Christmas movies, and I'm not watching a Hallmark quality sap story, so pick something we can both enjoy."

"You're not giving me much to work with here Alhaitham, that's awfully vague." Kaveh says, despite the fact that his original plan probably met this criteria. He knew from the start that he couldn't fool Alhaitham into watching a cheesy feel-good movie. At least not yet. 'Baby steps,' he thinks to himself.

"However, as brilliant as I am, I only have just the film." He smiles as he walks back into his own place, leaving Alhaitham awkwardly waiting in his doorway.

He reappears moments later, pushing Alhaitham into his apartment, into the kitchen. "Make us some popcorn, and I'll start the movie."

"Why do you assume I even have popcorn?" Alhaitham questions.

"Because I made certain you did, second drawer on the right." Kaveh says as he walks into the living room. "We're watching A Christmas Carol!" He announces in his wake.

"That's an oddly respectable choice coming from you." Alhaitham yells back. The book, at the very least, is a classic. Alhaitham has never seen any of the film adaptations of the story, but he has always enjoyed the original.

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that." Kaveh, pleased with his small victory, chooses to ignore the snide remark and turns on the television. In the short time they'd spent together, he'd become overly familiar with it. Alhaitham isn't sure how Kaveh became so at ease in his home so quickly. He can't say he minds.

He sits next to Kaveh, popcorn in hand, pulling it just out of reach as the blond tries to grab some. A small pout appears on Kaveh's face, and Alhaitham's heart skips a beat. 'That look is dangerous,' he makes a mental note. Because, given how weak it makes him feel to the blond, he knows it will be used against him in the future.

They inch closer together, the minor squabble over the popcorn forgotten. Kaveh snuggles up against Alhaitham, his head resting on his chest. This isn't exactly a neighbourly position, but neither of them mentions it.

The screen flashes and the title screen appears.

"In loving memory of Jim Henson and Richard Hunt."

Alhaitam raises an eyebrow. Why do those names seem familiar?

The title sequence continues.

'Walt Disney Pictures presents.'

Kaveh inches even closer to him, and any attention Alhaitham had on the screen shifts to the man next to him. Unbeknownst to him, Kaveh is being strategic, albeit only delaying the inevitable. Alhaitham holds his breath as his neighbour pushes his body even further into his side.

The full title of the film appears on the screen, but it's lost on Alhaitham as Kaveh holds his full attention. He looks down at Kaveh's face, the light freckles on his nose, the long and pretty lashes fluttering up and down, and his full pink lips. He's completely forgotten that he's supposed to be watching a movie.

He moves his arm over Kaveh's shoulder, drawing him in closer and eliciting a small smile from the blond. He takes the arm as an invitation to throw his legs over Alhaitham's, the two of them now completely entangled.

"This is my favourite Christmas movie." Kaveh chimes innocently.

"Hmmh, didn't expect you to enjoy the classics."

When he finally pulls his gaze away from the man now unceremoniously draped over his legs, the screen reads 'Michael Caine as Scrooge.'

"Michael Caine? I like him; he's a good actor." Alhaitham gives an approving nod.

"He's great in this version." Kaveh sounds a little shifty.

The camera pans down over the snow-covered rooftops of early 1840s London. The odd cartoonish flair of the scene does not register with Alhaitham at first.

Until a cart carrying talking cabbages rides by.

"Kaveh." He looks down at the man nervously shifting in his lap. "What version is this?"

Kaveh remains silent, knowing he was caught, which was unavoidable in the first place. It's not like Alhaitham wouldn't notice throughout the film.

"It's the Muppets Christmas Carol." He mumbles quietly.

Kaveh braces himself for Alhaitham to tell him to stop the movie. He'd hate to do so; he chose it with care, genuinely enjoying the film and having fond memories of it. Maybe one day he'll explain to Alhaitham why. For now, he mentally prepares himself for disappointment.

"Alright," Alhaitham says. He doesn't care about the condition he set not even 20 minutes ago; he just wants Kaveh to stay on his lap. Arguing about the movie choice would jeopardise the prospect of an awfully domestic evening.

"Alright?" Kaveh looks up in surprise. Alhaitham has his eyes glued on the screen, as if impatiently waiting for it to resume.

"Alright!" The blond beams, eager to show the film to Alhaitham. If he had asked normally, he expected his suggestion to be rejected. Perhaps he was nervous about being mocked by Alhaitham for his taste. Maybe Alhaitham would have, but for the time being, he is content.

Kaveh settles back in, his hands absentmindedly playing with Alhaitham's shirt as he makes random comments about the movie, highlighting any and all scenes he enjoys.

Alhaitham doesn't mind the interruptions, most of his attention being on Kaveh to begin with.