= 01 =

Fear and trepidation have spread through many people's hearts for decades now

Fear and trepidation have spread through many people's hearts for decades now. The mere hearing of it was enough to make some of them tremble with fear. And the icy wind greeting your exposed skin like a knife with a sharp blade certainly wasn't the cause. The police have been on the trail of it for many years, but they were never able to catch them successfully.

They've stolen many people's lives, invested heavily in sophisticated gambling activities, and made many of the city's loan shark agencies a raging success.

The talk is about the two leading mafia groups, La Nova and The Codex. The Codex was established longer than La Nova; possibly running for 5 years more than the freshly founded an organization that a youngster has as its head. And just like the name suggested, they wanted to be the new top of the city. They no longer wanted to stay below The Codex, and thus the fight began.

A day in autumn, Seoul

The soft duvet that had a flowery scent to it awoke the young man just minutes before the alarm clock went off. "Good morning, Hoseok," the man said with a groggy voice, softly shaking the other's shoulder to make sure he woke up. "Mhn," his deep voice was brimming with sleep, but it didn't take long until he stood up and stretched himself. Together, they went into the bathroom and just like any other morning, they showered together, appreciating their sweet morning time more than anything else because work kept them from seeing over the day. They never shared a lunch together, nor a dinner. Only in rare cases, where both of them got off from work at the time, could they prepare a dinner for two and spend a lovely evening. It may sound like they were apart from each other more than they were together, but they didn't mind, really. They both love their job dearly, making it a priority most of the time, but they love each other just as much. Every morning they moved in a symbiosis, just like a well-rehearsed pair: efficient and as loving as a newly-wed couple. While Jungkook was shaving, Hoseok started to prepare their breakfast. And after they silently ate their breakfast consisting of cold cuts, bread and a strong coffee, they moved on to their favourite time of the day. Every morning at 6:15 am sharp, they would sit down on the sofa together, to watch the daily news show. They may not talk much in the mornings, but their love overflowed with insignificant gestures here and there. Sometimes, they watched it arm in arm, sometimes Jungkook laid his head on Hoseok's lap or shoulder, sometimes it was the other way around, or they would spend their morning energy on something more tiring but exciting activity.

It was like this every morning.

Or rather, it had been like that.

8th January, Seoul, Incheon

The chilly wind that pierced his skin through an open window might not have hurt Hoseok, but the coldness symbolised his present mornings perfectly. Waking up alone, showering alone, eating alone, watching the news alone... Sometimes, just sometimes, he wondered if his former lover was doing the same. Was he still watching the news? Did he remember to lock the door twice in the morning? Had he eaten breakfast at all? But those thoughts had faded away months ago. Now he was just numb to the pain, concentrating all his energy and time on his work.