xiv. the breakup

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Luna walked around Droitwich looking for Uhtred, she knew they needed to speak and she wasn't sure how things would go. She stopped at the stables and was about to enter when she heard Aethelflæd speak.

"I would like you to kiss me." Aethelflæd whispered as she hovered her face next to him.

"And then?"

"Begin with a kiss and see where it leads if you would rather not—" Luna clutched her stomach to fight back the tears.

"It is something I would enjoy and then regret. Lady, in Erik, you chose someone you could not be with and I am the same. I would not see you hurt again." Uhtred spoke softly and Luna wasn't sure what to think about this entire thing.

"Who has to know? Who would need to know?" Aethelflæd says watching him pace.

"Skade. Skade would know. She would see everything I care for destroyed. She must be found, recovered." Luna wiped away her tears and realized she had never felt so betrayed.

"I would say it is impossible for you to recover her."

"I must." He said and Luna hid behind the door as Aethelflæd left with a frown on her face. Luna inhaled and slowly walked in, Uhtred turned to her with a smile but soon dropped it seeing her crying. He went to comfort her but she stepped away, he tensed when she almost seemed to refuse to look at him.

"I believe it would be best if we were not together anymore if we ever were. I've realized that without Gisela, I'm no longer enough for you. So I am releasing you to pursue who you want, whether it be Skade or Aethelflæd." She forced a smile on her face and turned to leave, Uhtred quickly grabbed her wrist and shook his head.

"No, do not do this. I love you, I only want you. You are the light of my life, Luna. I don't want anyone else." He explained quietly and she knew that he had tears in his eyes.

"You have kissed both Skade and Aethelflæd. I know in my heart, that if Gisela was here you would not have allowed them to kiss you. I am the other woman, it seems I will always be the other woman when it comes to you. I cannot allow my children to be born into an unhealthy relationship, they come first." She said and pulled away from him.

"I'm sorry." He whispered and she truly believed he was. But she couldn't count on it not happening again.

"I know, Uhtred. I know." She left him alone in the stables as she angrily wiped away her tears, she ignored the growing pain in her stomach and searched for Sihtric.

"I knew you would be with your princess." Brida snapped as the gang rode out to the unexpected guest.

"Something had happened." Uhtred said as he walked to her.