xv. nothing but pain

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Apologies for keeping you waiting in the cold, my dear, your father is to blame after deliberation, he has decided not to attend." Æthelred said as they walked in, Luna stayed by Finan and Sihtric's side as Uhtred and the king's daughter stepped by front and center, Osferth looked at her with a reassuring look when she nervously began to rub her stomach.

"I am here in place of the king. I'm here to speak for the king." Edward said and looked at her in worry when she shot a hand out to grip Osferth.

"Our business is with Alfred." Aethelflæd said calmly.

"Edward is Alfred."

"On this occasion." Beocca corrected.

"We are all curious of what you have to say, my dear. Speak." Æthelred said and motioned for her to speak.

"Danes are near."

"Yes, which is why we are gathered. This is not some hunting party." Æthelred spoke.

"Hæsten is with them. His army is allied with them."

"But it was Hæsten who first advised the king that the Danes were marching south." Edward asked in confusion.

"He would do that, Lord."

"Hæsten also advised the king this dane army included yourself, Uhtred Ragnarsson." Beocca stated.

"It does not, father." Uhtred spoke.

"Which we can clearly see."

"Hæsten has betrayed the king. He rode to Mercia to kill me, Uhtred saved me." Aethelflæd defended.

"God is good, praise him."

"I am at a loss. How is it that you knew of this danger? How is it he knew exactly where to find you?" Aethelred questioned.

"An interesting question, lord."

"An irrelevant question." Aethelflæd snapped.

"Uhtred made a plan with this dane, this Hæsten to save you, to gain your trust, gain entry to this estate."

"No." Aethelflæd defended.

"A spy."

"An assassin." Men began to murmur.

"No, he saved me."

"I should've expected nothing different." Uhtred said in disbelief.

"Uhtred has risked everything for me—"

"That's what he wants you to believe, I am sure." Æthelred interrupted.

"Seems a rather grand strategy, lord Æthelred. And for what?" Edward questioned coming to his defense.

"He is here, among us." Sigebriht said.

"And under guard."

"Then let us get to the truth of the matter, let us hear exactly why Uhtred is here," Alfred speaks as he steps into the room and slowly walks to Uhtred. "What do you have to say to me?"

"I wish to speak to you alone."

"This is a Witan, we are one people. What you have to say affects all of us." Æthelred spoke as he leaned in his chair.

"These men are my friends and allies. I have nothing to hide." Alfred said as Aethelflæd and Uhtred share a look.

"I saved your daughter's life. It was Hæsten's intention to kidnap her. If that could not be done, he would have killed her. And you claim he, too, is your ally." Uhtred explained.

"I have never made that claim. I have listened to Hæsten but I have never believed him fully." Alfred walks to Aethelflæd. "That you are here with Aethelflæd, is the only reason you are alive." Alfred glanced at Osferth briefly before turning away. "Do not tell us what you have done. Tell us all what it is you want, you always want something."

"I want one thousand men. One thousand men and I will give you Beamfleot." Æthelred scoffed.

"I do not need Beamfleot."

"I will give you peace, I will defeat Hæsten. I will prevent him from joining with the Earls Cnut and Bloodhair." Uhtred spoke confidently.

"Not forgetting the Earl Ragnar."

"My brother is dead, lord. That is to your advantage, with Hæsten defeated and Ragnar gone, the Danes will have half the army and no leader. To prevent a great war, you must attack Hæsten." Uhtred spoke with a pained expression, he longed to be in Luna's arms and the thought brought more pain.

"Seems viable, lord."

"You wish me to divide my army?" Alfred asked.

"Yes."

"Send one thousand men east?" Alfred questioned.

"Yes."

"That is too great a risk to Wessex, lord."

"Hæsten sits inside a fortress, one thousand men could die upon its walls easily. And then what?" Alfred questioned and noticed his son was watching Luna with worry, a glance at the heir of Beamfleot he noticed she was wearing a pained expression, and his bastard son was hugging her.

"We are overrun."

"We devise a plan." Uhtred explained.

"Why? What is at stake for Uhtred Ragnarsson? Is it Mercia you care for? Is it Wessex or is there another reason for this attack?" Alfred questioned with anger.

"Vengeance, lord. Do you require the details?"

"You seek vengeance?" Alfred asked.

"I do."

"The man is a fool, who believes all of us to be fools!" Aethelhelm shouted angrily.

"You arrived here under the protection of the lady of Mercia. I shall not undermine that protection. You are free to leave when you are ready and rested. You remain an outlaw of Wessex." Alfred spoke looking the Dane in the eyes.