xvi. the departure

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"I came to sit with my sister for a while, my sister the outlaw." Edward said as he joined them at the table with Beocca and Pyrlig. Luna was curled up in Finan's lap as he soothed away the cramps in her stomach, he placed a kiss on her throat to settle her.

"You grow by the day, Edward." Aethelflæd said kindly, Osferth frowned at their sibling interaction.

"He grows wiser."

"Slowly, but hopefully." Edward said quietly.

"If you would excuse me." Sihtric and Edward watch Osferth leave, Luna nods to Sihtric and he soon follows after the monk to comfort him.

"I was sorry to hear of Ragnar's death. He was a heathen, but a good man. I shall pray for him." Beocca spoke softly, Luna frowned and nuzzled farther into Finan's embrace.

"Amen."

"He would not thank you for your prayers, Father." Uhtred said with an almost teasing tone.

"Well, they are his all the same. I pray for you, too, Uhtred. And I will not stop in spite of your pigheadedness." Beocca spoke.

"And me, father?" Finan questioned with a smirk, Luna smiled when her Irishman rubbed her back.

"Oh, I'm afraid you belong to the devil already."

"Hmm, you could well be right." Beocca smiled at the Irishman and then at the woman Finan was holding.

"Should we get on with the matter, Father Beocca? Sooner we get back, the better." Pyrlig asked with some urgency.

"Yes, Edward is here because he had something to say, to ask. For sake of appearance, you all should all try to behave as if you're completely disinterested." Beocca spoke quietly.

"How...how many men does Hæsten have?" Edward asked.

"Maybe as many as one thousand."

"And a fortress." Edward stated.

"Beamfleot."

"I wish to understand why you believe you can defeat him when it appears impossible." Edward asked and leaned forward.

"Laying siege to the fortress would take three thousand and many would die, but I will use his hatred of me to draw him out. We could feint an attack with a small number of men and then retreat, Hæsten will not be able to resist the opportunity of killing me on open ground, with an army we will have a chance." Uhtred explained and shot a glance at his ex-lover, she was distressed. That much was clear.

"Men will still die."

"It is war. Men will die at Beamfleot or they will die here and at Winchester. But as I said to the king, defeating Hæsten could well regent a greater war." Uhtred spoke with authority.

"And that is no false claim, lord. Nothing deters a warrior more than the news of defeat. It's a plan that can work, but Uhtred will need men, an army. And I do not wish the devil to take me too easily." Finan smirked at Beocca who smiled back.

"There is a thick forest surrounding Beamfleot, a good place to hide an army."

"Yes, lord. A good place to hide five hundred men or more." Uhtred agreed.

"Then you shall have them."

"Is that a promise you can keep, lord?" Beocca questioned with worry.

"Edward, you are certain."

"Set a day for the attack and I will be there. You shall have the men, draw Hæsten out of the fort. Our army will be hidden in the woods, waiting. You have my word, I swear." Edward tells them with confidence.

Once it's time for them to head out she hugs both of her husbands, she smiles when they kiss all over her face making her giggle. Sihtric and Finan look at her lovingly and each of them kisses her on the lips as both of them place a hand on her stomach.

"Come back to me." She tells them quietly, she holds each of their faces in one of her palms, and they lean against her as she speaks. "I fear the children will be coming soon and I would prefer if they grow up with two amazing fathers." She says making them smile softly at her. Despite them being biologically Sihtric's, the two men had decided that their children would each be treated as their own. And the thought had warmed her heart since the moment they had told her.

"We will, my moon. I swear it." Sihtric spoke confidently and kneeled in the dirt to hug her stomach, she hummed and raked her fingers through his hair.

"We would fight demons and valkyries to come home to you, a stór." Finan said as he nuzzled his face against her thought, his arm was wrapped around her waist and his other hand was placed on Sihtric's shoulder. She kissed them both one last time and watched them go to their horses, Osferth had pulled her into a gentle hug as he passed by.

"Be careful, baby monk." Osferth smiled at her and laughed when she flicked his forehead.

"I will, I promise."

"You too, Uhtred." She spoke seeing the Dane, Uhtred paused for a moment and nodded.

"I will always return from battle for you, even if we are no longer together." Uhtred said sadly and it took all she had not to hug him.

"Open the gates!" Steapa shouts so they can leave, and she notices Æthelred is glaring at Uhtred and his men.