1

"Natty, do you truly think Ominis would ask me?"

Surely, she had to have been tired of hearing the same question repeated over the last two weeks. The answer seemed obvious enough, but I was still nervous that it would be the opposite.

"Yes, Y/N, for the millionth time! He is sure to ask you to accompany him to the Yule Ball. If you are so worried, why not ask my mother?" Her tone was filled with exasperation, and rightfully so. I could imagine I would feel the same had it been the other way around.

I sighed, slumping back into my seat as I continued to mull it over. "No. I shan't bother her with such a trivial thing. This year is his last chance. He didn't ask me in fifth, or sixth year. And he's expressed numerous times that he hates the dreadful thing. Sebastian took me last year out of sheer pity." Which Natty knew well enough. She also knew that it had caused quite the tiff between Ominis and myself.

He had no right to be upset, of course. It's not as if we have ever been exclusive, no matter how I wished we were. Besides, he knows that Sebastian and I have always been platonic.

Nevertheless, he absolutely protested the fact that he was indeed jealous. That was the only plausible explanation.

"You were far too busy harnessing ancient magic in fifth year to worry about such a feeble thing like the Yule Ball." That was true. Still, it would've been nice to at least have been asked, even if I had to turn down the invitation. "Besides, if you are so worried about it, why not ask him instead?"

What a preposterous suggestion! I let a scoff convey just that before I spoke. "Because, Natty. It's formal for the boys to ask us. And I don't want to give him the satisfaction of telling me no. Merlin knows he would use it to poke fun at me every chance he gets." No matter if it was in good spirit or not. I wouldn't have been able to take the humiliation.

She let out a soft sigh, shaking her head as if to convey her annoyance. "Then, you must wait. He will ask you. Just find it in yourself to be patient."

But, when!

Blast, I couldn't take much more of this waiting about for him. If he could simply just— "Y/N?" That all too familiar voice cut off my inner drivel.

"Yes, Ominis? What is so imperative that must you interrupt my studying for?" I questioned, lifting my chin so that I may catch a glimpse of that maddeningly handsome face. "Well, I...I only require a moment of your attention. You see.." he started, taking a seat on the bench beside me.

This couldn't be it. No, it was supposed to be far more romantic than this.

"What is it?"

"I've been meaning to ask you sooner, but I suppose now is as good a time as any given the dire circumstances."

Could he drag it on any more? Truly, he adds more dialogue than needed.

"I am out of troll bogeys, and I was wondering if you had any to spare? I have a potions quiz tomorrow, and I'm afraid I don't have the time to venture out and take down a troll for it."

Unbelievable.

Natty tried her hardest to conceal her laughter, but it broke forth in a quick burst before her hand was covering her mouth.

"You...I cannot even begin to— Damn you." I stood from the bench then, quickly gathering my things to be able to make a hasty retreat. "Shall I take that as a no?" He asked me as I walked away, and I couldn't find it in myself to answer. What a ridiculous young man.

"What on earth was that about?" He asked Natty, who shook her head at him— though it went unseen. "You boys are the most clueless creatures. Troll bogeys! Of all the things you could have asked her." Natty promptly closed her book, and stood. "You are smart. I hope you are able to figure it out, Ominis. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon."