6 - I'm Serious About Plants

As promised, the contract arrived the next evening, hand-delivered by the baron's housekeeper, Mi Kyung-Jin. Both Nana and Pop-Pop made a great deal about going over the paperwork with Waverly, which in and of itself was fairly simple. It listed her hours, pay, responsibilities, and term limits. She would even have the ability to purchase any materials necessary to complete the project—pending the baron's approval, of course.

Satisfied with what she was being offered, plus the fact she'd Googled the baron to ensure his legitimacy, Waverly signed the contract and reported to Bellbroke Castle two days later.

For her first day, she'd chosen a pair of well-worn, but clean jeans, a green cotton tank top, a green flannel button-down shirt, and a pair of comfortable brown work boots. She'd tied her hair up in a high ponytail, keeping most of the heavy locks away from her neck. It was going to be a hot one today, even being on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

A refurbished iron gate swung open automatically once she announced her arrival through the estate's new intercom system. As she walked down to the castle, backpack bouncing on her shoulders, lunch bag swinging from one hand, Waverly noticed a surge in activity: landscapers trimmed trees by the far stone wall; two men on industrial lawnmowers zoomed across the lawn; four more men were spread across the length of the driveway, evening it out and adding more gravel.

In all, the place was starting to look rather respectable.

Baron Francis and Ms Mi stood outside the main entrance to the manor, going over some plans with a contractor. The baron looked up as Waverly approached.

"Good morning, Ms Harris."

"Morning," she replied with a little bob of her head.

"You appear to be well-prepared," Baron Francis said, nodding at the backpack. "What are your plans for today?"

Did he think she was going to come empty-handed? Waverly's lips twitched humorously and she set the backpack down, pulling out an iPad tablet and a small package. "Well, first I want to get a layout of the whole garden. Also, I'll need to do a soil test." She waved the kit around for emphasis. "Will you be free sometime today to go over the results?"

Baron Francis glanced at his housekeeper; Ms Mi stared back, lifting one pencil-thin eyebrow. Waverly looked off to the side as a silent conversation passed between the two, trying to appear as if she wasn't actively paying attention.

The baron snorted and folded his arms. "Have I been that much of a pest, Kyung-Jin?"

"Only a little, sir," she replied evenly, pinching her forefinger and thumb together.

"Very well," he sighed, running a hand through his hair. Turning to Waverly, the baron said, "Do you mind me tagging along, Ms Harris?"

"Not at all!" Waverly told him brightly, putting the test kit back in her bag and slinging it over her shoulder. Bottles of distilled water bumped against her back. "That actually makes everything easier. We can go over your plans for the garden."

"Would it surprise you that I have no plans?" the baron asked somewhat sheepishly, tucking his hands into his pants pockets.

Ms Mi shook her head.

"Could I put this in your fridge?" Waverly asked, holding out the lunch bag.

The housekeeper glanced at the insulated bag and smiled politely. "I'll take it for you." After Waverly handed it over, Ms Mi gestured to the man they'd been talking to; together, they entered the manor, leaving Waverly and the baron alone outside.

Was she surprised? Yes, but he wouldn't be the first. She'd dealt with dozens and dozens of patrons with the same problem. Waverly told him as much, adding, "These issues usually have a way of solving themselves once we start talking about it. No worries." She flashed him her best customer service smile. That's why you hired me, right? Besides, she'd already saved images of other traditional English gardens to show him.