[ chapter one - i take it back ]

"I hate this accursed family."

...

I can't believe it.
I- I'm really back.
Did the universe answer my prayers or is this another hallucination? I'm not sure how to feel... happy? Ecstatic? No. I know I said it would be relieving to be able to fix my mistakes, but I don't wanna relive this hell. I crawled out of bed, landing unevenly. I looked around until my eyes landed on a mirror. I strode over to the reflective object. Looking in the mirror, it seems like I'm about seven. I'm pretty short and my size compared to ny bed is pretty crazy. I also remember having this haircut around that age as well...

I heard the door open as I cupped my face.
"Young Master Cairo, the Lady and the Lord request you come down to eat."
I nodded, inwardly scoffing. I'm back here, where respect to nobles is expected, yet the staff don't even care enough to knock. It would be strange if I suddenly declined, I can't remember a single day I avoided eating dinner with my... family.

I stared at myself in the mirror, taking a deep breath in. Relax.

I pushed the wide embellished doors open, taking in my surroundings. It's nearly the same as I remember. It's... strange. It's not as warm as I recall.

...

As I stepped into the dining room, I saw the looks of dislike in my family's eyes, especially my mother's.

I pulled a chair out, a chair that was purposely placed farther away from the others. It was so blatant, I'm not sure how I never noticed before.

I paused for a second before sitting down. I was trembling, but the trio didn't pay enough attention to tell.
I ate in silence, my dearest family cheerfully conversing.
"Papa! Guess- guess what I did today!"
I heard my younger sister exclaim; she had clear enthusiasm in her voice.
I saw my father's mouth contort into a small smile.
"What, my love bug?"
"I- I saw these beautiful bugs today! They had these... these bright blue wings and they were HUGE! One of them landed on me!!"
My mom chucked before letting out a word, "Dear, do you mean a butterfly?"
My sister tilted her head in curiosity, my father noticed this and continued.
"Would you like to go visit the sanctuary tomorrow? Our schedules are open."

At the mention of an open schedule, my spoon fell with a loud clank. I uttered a small apology, picking up my metal utensil.
Originally, it had played out differently due to me contributing to the conversation. But what baffles me is the audacity to say that when they lectured me on being too busy to go anywhere just a week ago.

"May I be excused?" I muttered. I hadn't finished but 1 third of my food, but I was just tired of this mistreatment.
My mother eyed me suspiciously, but my dad soon spoke.
"You may. May I inquire as to why?"
"I'm not feeling very good." I lied.
"Very well, you're excused. But you must get ready for bed as soon as you get to your room."
I nearly rolled my eyes, but quickly stopped myself.
I hate this accursed family.

...

I turned on the faucet to let the water run.  I looked in the mirror. I'm really back, huh?

I pulled my shirt over my head before taking off the rest of my clothes. I slid into the tub, the warm water pulling me into a state of relaxation.

They really told me to get ready without any staff to assist. A 7 year old alone in a giant tub? Funny. I wonder if Child Protective Services exists in this world...

I went underwater to wet my hair, going back up to scrub shampoo into my hair. I washed the suds out of my locks before squeezing conditioner into my palm. I rubbed my hands together before applying the soap to my dark hair.