Finesse

Lan Zhan lay prostrate on the white marble floor, before the Great Lord himself. He could hear the God's rhythmic tapping of his long, enameled fingernails. He remained still. The tiles against his forehead were cool and the color and temperature of them reminded him of Cloud Recesses. It was still being run capably by Lan XiChen's descendants, but it hadn't been home for a myriad of centuries. He and Wei were each other's home.

"Aish! Even at my feet, he is all you think of. Stand, Lan Zhan." The Great Lord sighed to High Heaven...but, since He already lived here, that cliché was useless. The thought of that elicited another sigh.

Lan Zhan rose to his feet in a smooth and elegant flow, not unnoticed by the Lord God. When they finally convinced this one to accept godhood, it was going to be a great boon to their ranks. But he, as well as his partner in love, had a way to go.

"The Childe of Eternal Passing has submitted your request. I find it interesting, although, in my opinion, it is a waste of a perfectly good lifetime. Lessons need a natural progression, do you not agree?"

Lan Zhan spoke after great consideration. "I agree that a natural progression is a normal routine, Heavenly Leader. But a carefully chosen option can be as effective, I think."

"Explain."

"At this point, since the Heavens want us both to join with other immortals here, I feel advancing some steps for Wei Ying could accomplish that more quickly."

"Possibly, young man. But how much of this is simply a way for you to protect Wei Ying for further parental disappointment? And how do you propose to avoid any crossover with the fact that you have consistently reincarnated as lovers and intend to be again in the future? Memories of your ...more intense lifestyle could taint the more familial one you want to live this time."

Lan Zhan spoke honestly. "An equal amount of concern for both points of view. I feel, repetitive lifetimes with abusive and neglectful situations has become his normal expectation. I feel he chooses it because it is all he knows. Would changing his environment just once, enlightening him to an alternative and seeing if he tries to break the pattern, not be worth even one try?"

"Can you turn that switch yourself? Assume the role of father? No residual feelings from past lifetimes?"

"Absolutely. Many return simply as friends. Or spouses of another previous relative. Kids return as parents and visa versa. It is necessary to sort out good and bad karma.

The reasons for anyone's reincarnations are to settle old problems and learn to do better, is it not? A basic tenant is the fluidity of it all.

Wipe both our memories. Wei Ying chooses not to remember each time. I choose to remember. Wipe mine as well. I will forfeit even that, temporarily, to give Wei Ying this chance.

Also, I will not be Wei Ying's physical father. I would prefer coming back as his adoptive father. If becoming his father in this way helps, I can do it in a single moment."

The tapping began again. It went on for several long minutes.

"If I approve this, and I am far from certain at this point, we will be in charge of the circumstances. We will choose time and place. We will choose whom you both are born to. But I need a pledge as well.

When the time comes, and when your perfections are attained, you and Wei Ying will ascend here and join our ranks. It may be a millennia away in your terms, but we will expect you here."

"I will obey. Since Wei Ying has pledged to be by my side each lifetime, he will probably do the same. But that is a discussion you must have with him. I do not speak in his stead."

Another sigh. "You two...You would turn my hair white in an instant, if thousands of years on this throne had not already done so! Away with you. I have some lesser problems on my plate again. France, England and Spain are scrapping once more since they discovered the Americas a few years ago. Complete idiots, as usual! One day...one day...I will lose my patience with them all."

Lan Zhan left in a hurry, He had made his points and was wise enough not to press any further. Let the Americas come under the line of fire with the old man. This Bearer of Light, at least, knew when to stop being a nuisance. Those folks better learn as well.

There is no sense of earthly time in the Higher Realm. It flows, like the ocean where Lan Zhan sunned himself. Dozing, reflecting, sifting though a vast expanse of lifetimes, always with Wei Ying. This decision was a hard one. His beloved had become accustomed to him retaining his memories and being sought out each time by Lan Zhan. And to give up the memories to be made this lifetime in the end as well... Lan Zhan was not sure how he, himself, felt about the total lack of control. He was used to calling his own shots and dealing with his own consequences, good and bad. But if that was what was needed...

Then it hit him, and he stood swiftly up, staring at the ocean.

The Great Lord was clever beyond imagining. Had Lan Zhan woven his own trap and stepped right into it? He was a smart and careful man, always trying to think 12 steps ahead pf his opponents. But the Great Lord, with his infinite experience, was probably 120 steps ahead of him. He had gotten His way by waiting for Lan Zhan to devise his own clever plan. Wei Ying would get a chance to break a pattern. Lan Zhan would be the one to give it to him...And the Great Lord had finally elicited a long desired promise of adding Lan Zhan and Wei Ying to the ranks of Heaven.

Nicely played, Exalted One. Nicely played.