Chapter 82

It was easier said than done.

For the last week, I had been trying to make amends with my supposed husband. He had asked me to take some time off from work to rest up and said that he would work from home too, but I had barely even been able to see him at all this entire time.

It wasn't that he was neglecting me for anything. If anything, he was much more of a doting husband than I expected.

Although I rarely came face-to-face with him, he managed to guess all my needs before I said anything and somehow finish all the tasks for me before I even needed them.

He would prepare breakfast, handle the laundry, and clean the house to a nearly spotless state before I even woke up every day. All of my favorites would be left piping hot on the kitchen counter as if he knew exactly when I would come downstairs, but he was never present as I ate breakfast with Theo.

Not even a single glimpse of his towering figure.

Just like breakfast, all the other meals would also be prepared before I could even get started on them, containing all my favorites, like an array of seafood dishes or desserts centered around strawberries.

And not once did he ever eat with me.

The only reason why I knew he was still in the house was that I would still occasionally see his dirty laundry in the hamper or hear the water running from somewhere else in the house.

And based on what Theo told me and the state of the closet, he used to share the bedroom that I was currently staying in with me, but I had yet to see him ever enter the room.

It wasn't that I was all that keen on the idea of sharing a bed with a man I barely knew, but I hadn't even seen him come in to get a change of clothes once. A few days ago, I even tried sitting in my room the entire day in hopes of catching him, but he never came.

In the handful of times that I did manage to catch a glimpse of his back in the hallways, he would always disappear before I could catch him.

Theo eventually confessed that his dad was hiding in his home office, showering in the bathroom attached to his office and sleeping on the pull-out couch in there.

It was quite clear that he was avoiding me.

So I was unequivocally surprised when he suddenly appeared in front of me one day.

He was dressed in a semi-formal outfit in pair of dark dress pants with a fitted white button-up and his sleeves neatly rolled halfway up his forearms. His hair was combed to the side, perfectly framing his sharp facial features.

Even though I had been trying to talk to him all week, I ended up staring at him silently in awe instead.

He wasn't dressed in anything fancy, but he truly was just as handsome as the papers had described him to be.

His eyes fluttered nervously under my gaze. Rubbing the back of his neck, he asked softly, "May I come in?"

I nodded mutely, unable to say anything at the sound of his husky voice.

He walked into my bedroom hesitantly before stopping a good distance in front of me. Fidgetting ever so slightly with the suit jacket draped over his arm, he explained, "I wanted to let you know that I will be out of the house for a couple of hours. There's something I need to handle... But my guards will continue to stay here to keep you safe. They are good at their job, so please rest assured."

I nodded again in understanding.

His lips parted ever so slightly as if he wanted to add something else, but he quickly shut his mouth again.