Chapter 37: Calm Before the Storm (Part 2)

The siblings arrived in Singapore at night time. They went straight to the apartment from the airport. They unpacked and took a quick shower and found each other at the living room.

"I miss hanging out with you here. We never hung out in the living room like this in Jakarta," Shania commented as she adjusted the throw pillows. 

"Nuh uh, I was always seated at the living room waiting for you but you never came out of your room," Chris replied as he threw a pillow at her.

"You know I was ALWAYS swamped with work.. and I'm always in some kind of trouble if I'm seen," Shania caught the pillow and threw it back.

"What do you mean? Were you ...hiding?" Chris caught the pillow and tucked it under his elbows as he leaned forward.

"I mean ... You and Papa are always nitpicking on me when I see you both. And then I get caught for doing or not doing something I was supposed to," Shania replied as she leaned back on the sofa and fiddled with her phone.

Chris leaned forward and grabbed the phone off her hands. "Hey, were you scared of me?" Chris asked making Shania look him in the eye by lifting her chin up with his finger.

"... The Chris in Jakarta and the Chris in Singapore is so different. You were always so angry with me for some reason. Papa too," Shania pulled away and looked away from Chris. She felt a stray tear fall off her cheek. Followed by another. She started crying.

Chris scooted over to her side and squeezed her tight for a hug. He lifted her off the couch and placed her on his lap. She leaned her head to his shoulder.

"I'm sorry you felt that way. I'm sorry I didn't know you were scared," Chris hushed his sister rubbing her back with his palm. 

Shania stayed on Chris's lap softly crying until she fell asleep.

The next day, Shania found herself waking up in her own bed. She went out to the dining room and saw Chris laying out the table with take out breakfast in sweaty clothes as he probably picked up food on his way back from his run.

"Good morning sweetie, just in time for breakfast! You can start eating, I'm gonna shower first," Chris pulled out a chair signalling Shania to take that seat. Shania reached out for the kaya toast and took a bite. Chris pulling a plate closer to her to catch her crumbs. He ruffled her bedhair, "we have an hour before we leave for the office".

"Huh? Why your office? I thought I'm going out with Bethany later?" Shania asked slightly irritated. 

"Calm down, you're meeting her at noon right? I need swing by the office before dropping you off," Chris replied her while walking away to get a shower. "Remember, we're leaving in an hour!" Shouted Chris before shutting his door.

Shania continued eating her toast and used her phone to text Bethany about how she's so excited to finally meet her.

Shania: I can't wait for 12pm!
Bethany: Me toooo! 

When they were at Chris's office, Chris made Shania wait for him at the common areas because he was having some meetings in his office. Shania wandered around and sat in one of the couches, glued to her phone.

"Shania!" Someone shouted running to her direction. Shania looked up in confusion.

"OMG! It's been soooo long! I didn't know you were coming to Singapore! Chris didn't mention anything," Judy rambled.
"It's just my school break right now," Shania smiled awkwardly. 
"Why is she even here?"Shania thought to herself.
"I don't know if Chris told you. I work here now!" Judy replied as if hearing Shania's thoughts.
"Oh," Shania replied somehow feeling annoyed. 

"There you are," Chris put his arm over Shania's shoulder making Shania look up to him.
"I was just telling Naya that I'm working here now," Judy waved at Chris.
"Yeah, Judy is part of our HR team. You can pass her your resume if you plan to intern here," Chris joked nudging Shania.

"Are you done with your meetings?" Shania whined to Chris.
"Umm, I have 6 more team member meetings," Chris looked at his watch pouting at his sister.
"Whattttt? How much longer?" Shania whined some more while stomping her feet.
"Just kidding. Are you ready to leave now?" Chris pinched Shania's cheek causing her to wince and step away.

----

Author's Note:

Thank you for your support and being patient with my really slow updates. Again, I promise that I'm not done with this book and I'm still going to write for a long time. I have several drafts written halfway but it's still not ready to be published.

Also, the punishments given in this book are really not considered abuse in an asian context. If it makes you uncomfortable, I suggest you read something else. 

Again, thank you for the votes and comments! I really appreciate them all :D