Xeep

"Hard to believe Madam Villanelle is a thief," Ben muttered, watching the proprietor place books on the shelf. 

"I'm sure she's not, Ben," Sarah answered. "But she may have information that'll lead us to the actual thief."

Ben shrugged. "I dunno. If Rakepick taught me anything, it's that people aren't always what they seem."

Not wanting to dwell on those words, Sarah led them up to Villanelle. 

"Excuse me, Madam?"

She jumped. "Oh goodness me. Hello, Sarah. What can I do for you?"

"We're working with the ministry for a school project, and wanted to ask you about a misfiring wand at Ollivanders."

Madam Villanelle put down the book she was holding, confused. "Very well." 

"Did you see anything suspicious when you were there today?" asked Ben.

"I haven't been in there today. I haven't been there in weeks." 

Ben and Sarah glanced at each other. 

"According to Ollivander's ledger, you were there this morning, Madam," said Sarah. 

Villanelle frowned. "Actually, that sounds...yes! Yes, I remember now! I was there."

"What were you doing there?" asked Ben. 

Villanelle scratched her head. "Umm..." She pulled out her wand and twirled it in her fingers. "Oh, that's right. I am thinking about purchasing a new wand. I went to try out a few, but I didn't buy anything."

"Did one of the wands you tried misfire?" asked Sarah gently. 

"Yes...it did, now that you mention it," said Madam Villanelle. She shook her head. "Apologies, I've been quite forgetful lately. I may close the shop a little early and get some rest." 

A thought struck Sarah. "Did you get a free sample of that Xeep solution, Madam?"

"Yes, I did! I'm quite grateful for it too. I'd nearly run out of my old bottle."

"How long have you been using it?"

"Oh, I'm not sure. I can't remember now. I'm sorry, but I do think I'll close up, if that's all. My head is weary." 

"Of course," said Sarah, "thank you for your time." 

They left and made their way back to the Leaky Cauldron. 

"So two people who've been using this luscious lock stuff are also having memory problems," said Ben. "Doesn't seem like a coincidence." Sarah nodded. "Do you think it's a bad side effect, or did someone put it in on purpose?"

Sarah took a deep breath, trying to clear her head. "I'm guessing on purpose." She held out the fake wand they'd gotten from Ollivander. "Maybe whoever took the wand used the solution to make it harder for Ollivander to realize he'd been robbed." 

"Who? Zenith Xeep?"

"Maybe," said Sarah. "But I don't see why she'd steal it. A famous Opera Diva could surely afford her own wand." 

Ben shrugged. "Like I said, people aren't always what they seem."

Madam Minch was still out when they returned to the Ministry, so Sarah suggested they report their findings to the aurors. Moody seemed annoyed to be bothered at first, but he was soon following their story with rapt attention. 

"Excellent work," he admitted, once they'd finished. He took the wand from Sarah. "We'll take a look at this. I'll send some obliviators to see if they can restore Ollivander and Villanelle's memories, and we'll do our best to round up all those samples."