my life

: Phoenix

My life's been pretty much endorsed with drama and responsibilities but, having a historical side to it isn't quite the plan here. You're probably wondering why I'm saying this.

Sigh!

Well, I'm Phoenix Rotji, origin Nigeria but, an American citizen. I haven't been to my origin country since the starting point of my life and getting the chance to know what it feels like over there is kind of adventurous.

Nineteen years ago, three days to my existence. My parents decision stood against the rest of the extended family. They wanted me delivered in Nigeria first, before setting foot abroad, while my parents wanted the opposite. It was quite a show as I was told but finally, my parents had their way. And just as we'd arrived the States I was born.

I've got this older brother who's just two years older and very frustrating, and so he was present when the whole 'me' decision was taking place. I must say, there must've been some guts in this. I really do not know what the rest of the family look like. But it seems I'm finally getting the chance to know for myself.

So it's been decided, that I complete my tertiary schooling in Nigeria and I'm not so much excited about it but, in a way happy that I get to try something new. My mom was against it at first but, dad tried to convince her on it.

I just couldn't have much say around here, since having nigerian parents it's all it takes for that to happen.

I'll be in Nigeria in two weeks time, I gotta make the most of it here. Well I couldn't handle it alone, so my brother Malcolm is definitely coming to. Ofcoarse he blames me for it but also thankful that he gets to have some say of his own when he's there.

So I'll be joining the Nile University in Abuja the capital, as a year two student and probably it'll be fun. Just hope it turns out that way.

"You're gonna love Nigeria," my dad echoed,

"The people and its culture are much different from what's here so watch out for that," my mom warned,

Honestly, I wonder if these two people actually sat down to agree to this. I'm pretty confused if it's a boosting encouragement or anxious mystery they're tryna put me through.

I just sat there behind the kitchen island, seeping my yogurt,

Malcolm seemed unbothered, ofcoarse while he's blocked from the world already.

"So what's grandma like dad?" I asked and the room went silent, I wondered what exactly was going on as I looked at them both,

"Grandma is....grandma, you're going to love her I promise," he smiled weirdly as he ate his pancakes, making everyone look at him in confusion,

"Daniel, are you sure we're not sending our kids to their doom in that place?" My mom mummured to him but it was clear enough for me, to start having suspicions.

"Doom? I don't understand?" I repeated,

"Oh honey, it's absolutely nothing to worry about trust me, your mom's just paranoid, besides I'm the one flying over with you so chill, it's all under control," dad added,

Malcolm who seemed lost, came back to the room and grinned on his sit,

"You hear that Phy...chill... it's all under control," he looked at me,

"Malcolm, you know when you repeat things like that, you actually scare your sister...grow up," my dad said to him seeping his coffee,

"It's ok dad, he doesn't scare me a bit on this, it's not like he's escaping this either," I smiled back at Malcolm who turned his face into a frown and roled his eyes.