chapter two: kook king

august 7, 2020

— THE WRECK WAS FITTINGLY NAMED.
it was the place where pogues went when they felt going someplace nice for dinner, and just a cheap pick me up for kooks.

the carrera family owned the joint, and after opening it quickly became known for having some of the best food available.

having the restaurant be the middle ground between the people on the island could be quite ironic after looking at the owners. mr. carrera was a pogue in his childhood, having to build his life from the ground up. mrs. carrera on the other hand was as kook as kook could get. she never had to worry about where her next meal came from or her phone bill, instead getting membership into the fanciest clubs and programs. 

their daughter kiara, or kie, was the reason why thora had been able to keep herself afloat these past years. kie had gotten thora a job at the restaurant when she was 15 and she's been working there ever since. working her way up through positions, she now found herself as general manager. and though the pay was good, it wasn't enough to live a substantial life.

since starting her job, she's become a lot closer to kiara. therefore becoming a lot closer to the rest of her friends, john b, jj maybank, and pope heyward.

and while they sometimes made her regret becoming friends with the group due to their outlandish plans, she couldn't deny that she's had some fun times with them.

"thora! hi!" kiara cut her out of her thoughts as she entered the kitchen of the restaurant.

"hey kie, it's been so long!" thora smiled, accepting the girl's hug. after, she quickly put her hair up and began putting her personal stuff in the tiny office by the door.

"ugh, i know! i've been trying to keep the boys out of trouble. they've been coming up with so many more ridiculous ideas." kiara sighed and hopped up onto one of the counters.

"i assume you're failing more than you are successful." thora laughed, "oh speaking of which, john b literally ran into me today. something about being on the run?"

kiara followed her out to the tables as thora checked to make sure everything was fully stocked before the dinner shift.

"such a drama queen. dcs has been on his ass about his uncle not living with him, him needing to go under their custody, yada yada. but i don't know, pope and jj haven't seen him since this morning. maybe he is on the run." kie explained, grabbing a bin of clean silverware.

"huh. i hope he's okay." as she became friends with everyone, she slowly began to feel like the older sister to them all and knew that john b didn't tend to think before taking action.

"yeah. and of course jj has the utmost faith in his "dawg" and is still, despite pope and i's discretion, planning on hosting that party tonight."

"really? well, i'll be there, let's just hope nothing goes down while we're there. jj is bound to try and do something to not think about whatever trouble john b is in."

kiara hummed in agreement and after helping the girl with a few other odd jobs, they said their goodbyes. thora took her place at the bar, helping the other employee as they were understaffed after the storm.

a few hours later, after thora has been all over the restaurant helping where she was needed, she found herself at the register. cashing out a group of college-age boys, with one, in particular, staring right at her.

as she worked the computer, she tried not to show her disgust. rafe cameron. kook king. and right now he looked the part. a polo golf shirt, creme cargo shorts, and slip-ons. not to mention holding himself up in a way that screamed arrogance.