My Lord of the Sea

For my friend Jedi_Raptor. A Oneshot partially inspired by, but not based on, Bones In The Ocean, and hopefully a very interesting one. I certainly enjoyed writing it, although it took far longer than originally intended to get it right.

Enjoy, my friend, as well as whoever comes along later.

------

The voyage had been a peaceful one, for the most part. Ever since they had left shore, an easterly breeze had borne the ship along smoothly, through waves that lapped at the ship's sides and salty air that woke you up in a moment when you stepped on deck. Clouds swept the sky, sunlight twinkled in the water, there wasn't another ship nor a speck of land in sight. Kristin was thoroughly happy.

Leaning on the rails, her arms folded and brown hat tipped back to let the wind play with her hair, a small woman closed her dark eyes, enjoying the sunlight streaking down through the clouds. Her clothes were simple, a yellow, embroidered dress and lilies in her hat. Her blue stockinged feet fit snugly in shoes that tapped on the wood as she looked out over the sea. One finger twirled a lock of her dark hair round and round in thought.

They had been sailing for days now, and every day further from shore was a day closer to a new life. To a strange land, to strange chances and people. Kristin sighed and rested her chin in her hands, wondering what sorts of opportunities would show themselves once she reached her journey's end.

Behind her, boots clomped up the steps to where she stood. The captain, a tall weary man who looked better at sea than on shore, was taking measurements. His instrument, foreign to Kristin's eyes, he held out towards the sun.

"What does that tell you?" She asked.

"A lot." He replied. "Mostly distance, though I wish it could tell me the water between me and any enemy ships." He lowered the instrument and took out a spyglass. "Too many prowl the ocean in these parts, and I'm not exactly willin' to fight them. Not in this ship."

Something in his words sounded bitter. Kristin glanced around the deck. "You don't like captaining a passenger ship, I gather."

The captain's jaw clenched. He said no more, but lowered the glass and also leaned on the railing. Kristin looked at him in sympathy, but with no real idea of what to do or say. Deciding to see what she could learn from his appearance, she studied him. Short pink hair gathered in a ponytail, narrow red eyes, tanned, weathered skin and a scar peeking out from one of his rolled up sleeves. A burn scar, Kristin realized. She bit her lip thoughtfully. "You...used to be in the Royal Navy?"

To her surprise, the man actually smirked. "Close, ma'am. I had my own ship once. Crew, guns and flag, all mine. His Royal Highness liked 'em enough to take 'em off my hands." The last words were spoken so harshly Kristin shuddered, though the captain wasn't actually looking at her.

"I'm sorry." She said, resisting the urge to pat his arm. "Sounds like you got the rough end of it."

"Trouble is, I don't know, ma'am." The captain remarked. "Once my men were split up, I never saw 'em again. I sail this boat because it's the least royal thing in his Majesty's service, while also being a decent ship." He closed the spyglass, which he'd let drop during their conversation, and tipped his hat. "Good day, ma'am."

Kristin waved. "Good day!" Looking back out to sea, she wondered if the king had really needed those men, or that ship, and why the captain hadn't been pressed into service along with those he'd once commanded. Maybe he'd made himself as unpleasant as possible. Kristin chuckled a little and shut her eyes again, enjoying the feel of the wind in her hair and on her face.

Their journey was supposed to last a few weeks more, until they reached the opposite side of the ocean, where Kristin had some vague idea of seeking out work as a maid or cook. Maybe a seamstress. She had a lot of time to make up her mind. In the meantime, she took walks along the deck, chatted to any sailors who weren't busy, and did her best to get good sea legs. The other passengers would have been interesting to talk to, but Kristin wasn't much for their kind of company. She had the lowest social standing of them all and wasn't intending to spend her time around people who would most likely remind her of it again and again. She preferred the freer conversation of the sailors and the captain.