Holding on

A loud ringing sound filled his head. Miyano tired to tune it out, he wanted to stay in the blissful darkness. The ringing was insistent. He groaned, slamming the pillow to his head. The ringing seeped in anyway. Next there was banging. He growled under the pillow. He just wanted the world to go away. If Sasaki..

The name made him sit up. He blinked. How had he gotten back to his room? The last thing he recalled was running out of the bakery.

"Answer your phone. Why is this door locked?" his mother called form the other side of his bedroom door.

"Um, I don't know. When did I get a lock on my door?" Miyano asked.

"Just answer the phone!" He mother called again. "I need to sleep." He heard her footsteps stumble back toward her room.

Miyano picked up the phone. The screen showed Sasaki was calling. Tentatively he hit the answer button. Nothing happened other than the ringing stopped. He waited a moment.

"H, hello?" he said.

"Miya?" the soft voice answered. "I'm in the hospital can you come?" Sasaki sounded out of it.

"What hospital? What happened?" Miyano was out of bed. He scrabbled to find clothing while keeping the phone between his ear and shoulder. Sasaki gave him the name of the hospital.

"Please hurry." The phone went silent as those words lingered in the boys ear.

Suddenly, while tying his shoe, Miyano recalled his frantic run to he bakery. How long ago was that? He wondered. He looked at his fully charged phone. It was just after midnight. He frowned. He didn't recall checking the time when Sasaki texted all those blank messages. Wait, how long was he in the hospital? Ash told him hospitals are the most haunted places...

Miyano ran from his room. He snatched his jacket off of the hook as he dashed down the steps away from his apartment. He ran all the way to the train station. The train pulled in. Miyano tapped his hand against his leg waiting for the few late night passengers to exit. He jumped inside.

The doors swished close. He was off. He didn't know what was going to happen. Hugging himself he curled up on the seat as the train sped on toward Sasaki. What happened? Miyano wondered. He recalled the blank texts, how he tried to call back, how Sasaki wasn't real...

Miyano let out a moan at that last thought. No, that wasn't right. He wasn't crazy! Sasaki was real! They were friends! They... the tears rained down his face as he hugged his legs tightly to him. He pulled his phone out. Flipping to his messages he saw Sasaki's face smiling up at him. The pain in his chest eased a little.

He opened their text conversation. There wasn't any blank texts. The last text was Miyano sending the question mark but Sasaki had only texted to verify where they were meeting the day before. Miyano shivered. Was this real? Was he...

He shook his head. Pressing the call button on another picture he waited. Three rings, just as the fourth started, it ended. A groggy voice answered.

"Hello?" it said.

"Hirano, you know Sasaki, right?" Miyano asked dreading the answer.

"Miyano, what's wrong?" Hirano sounded more awake now. When Miyano didn't answer he went on.

"Of course I know Sasaki. We have been friends since middle school." He stated.

"Then, then I'm not... it is all real?" Miyano muttered.

"Miyano tell me..." Hirano began.

"Sasaki is in the hospital. I'm on my way to see him." Miyano said.