Chapter 4: First Match

The results of the fitness tests have been assessed. Please return to your rooms and confirm the latest rankings.

'Well would you look at that, my rank finally has number. Shame it's 0 though.'

"Well, well. Hello there, diamonds in the rough. How are you enjoying life at Blue Lock?"

"Cut the crap! Do you really expect us to improve in this crummy environment?"

"Yeah, what he said. I want better food."

'Didn't I give you my food yesterday though..?'

"The environment's crummy because your soccer skills are crummy, duh. Idiot. 

I mean, obviously?

"What?"

"L/n's diet isn't bad at all, rather great, extremely, obviously due to her skills. Anyway, let's talk a little bit about Blue Lock. In this facility, a total of teams from B down to Z are split into five groups, one per building. Oh, and by the way... Each team lost one person after the game of tag, so there are 276 players left, since there was an odd number players."

"What? So I'm still dead last? I was happy for nothing!"

"Your rank decides your team. Ranks 1 through 11 are in Team B, ranks 12 through 22 are in C... In short, you Team Z guys are the lowest-ranked in Building ."

"Don't lump me in with these losers."

"What?"

"Just who are you calling "losers"?" I add on. Did really add me in that part? I'm better than him, seriously.

"Ah.... right sorry, not you.."

"Better not be" I mumble, I got sort of upset there, my bad.

"..."

"Higher-ranked players like L/n here, eat good food and get to train in better buildings, though there is a reason why she's here for now.

In here, the best soccer player is king. If you want a better environment, win your way up. All righty, then. Let us begin the first selection."

 -------

"Itoshi Sae. You were a genius midfielder in the academy of one of the world's top clubs, Royale. However, regulations stopped you from playing in the first team, so you returned to Japan. Does this mean we'll get to see you play in the domestic league?"

"Over my dead body. If I have to play in a country like this, I'd rather play with college kids in Germany."

"So... Do you have dreams of representing your country at the international level in the future?"

"None whatsoever.
The national team of a weak country like this one will never be the greatest in the world. My dream is to win the Champions League. There isn't a forward in this country who's good enough for my passes. I was born in the wrong country."

-

"Hey... Give me a break. This won't do, Sae! The media's going to hate you."

"So? This country doesn't matter to me. I only came back 'cause my passport expired." 

"I know that, but..."

-

"Oh, yeah, I heard the JFU was holding a press conference today."

{"So that's how we plan to train up a striker who can lead Japan to a World Cup win."