Chapter Three

In the Garrison, Harry and Clara were working behind the bar, Grace wasn't anywhere to be seen, thank the lord. Clara had just served a middle aged man some scotch whiskey, and accepted the coins when none other than Finn Shelby comes through the door, weaving through the older men who were triple his height, and grabbing a chair. The Scott watched, amused, as practically her little brother, dragged the chair across to the bar, stood on it and took down a painting of the king.
"Finn, lad what are you doing?" Clara asked the young boy slightly amused.
He hopped down off the bar and said "we're having a fire, cmon Clar, Tom wants you" as he left.
"Who's having a fire?" Harry asked watching as the doors closed behind the young Shelby
"God knows Harry, I've not been told nothing" she took a drag of her cigarette and blew out the smoke.
"You better go have a look if Tommy wants you"
She contemplated him for a second
"Are you sure you're alright with that, I'll be back in a few minutes, sorry Harry"
"Don't worry about it I'll manage" and with that she grabbed her coat, walked around the bar and out through the doors.

She stepped onto Watery Lane and already she could see and hear the commotion, a pile of  wood was stacked high, pictures of the King scattered among the wood.
People all around were cheering but Clara soon found her boys and walked over, standing between John and Tommy.
"Nice way to make a statement lads"  she said Arthur offering her a sip of whatever alcohol he had in the flask he was holding, and she graciously accepted, letting the liquid trickle down her throat before handing it back to the elder boy who grinned at her.
"Do you want to do one Clars?" John asked from beside her, holding out a painting of the king.
"Why not," so taking the picture, she threw it in to the flames, which immediately engulfed it, licking at the edges.
"Chuck em on boys" Tommy called out throwing one on as well. He held out an unlit cigarette for Clara and placed it between her lips, lighting it for her. She smiled at him gratefully and took a drag, blowing the smoke out in his face. He chuckled at her actions and turned back to the fire.
"I hope to God you know what your doing" Arthur said gravely and all of them faced the fire again, all deep in thought, watching it burn.

Clara was taken out of her thoughts by a random man, with a pompous looking demeanour, oval glasses perched on his nose and a fedora hat sat on his head and said
"You're Tommy Shelby?" She looked round at Tommy and gave him a questioning look, which to her annoyance, he ignored.
"I am" he said to the man, then he turned to Clara and said "Clara, love, go back to the Garrison, tell Harry I said you could go home and then go to bed, I'll speak to you when I'm back" She nodded, deciding there was no point in arguing as he obviously didn't want to be overheard, she bade him and who she figured must be a reporter, goodnight and headed back to the Garrison, before returning home.

She entered the parlour and sat down with Polly who was reading the newspaper, and poured herself and the elder woman a cup of tea. Ada then came down the stairs, making both women look around at her.

"Good of you to join us" Pol said looking back down at her paper "where've you been all day" she asked while Ada went over and cut herself a slice of bread.

"In bed. Couldn't sleep. Then I couldn't wake up. Then I was cold, then I had to go for a wee. Then I was with this bear on a boat but that was just a dream" she walked over to the table and sat down next to Clara and finished her spiel by saying "and then I was hungry"
"Sounds... eventful" Clara said smirking.
"Oh it was. Why are you reading the paper?" She directed at Polly.
"Why wouldn't I be?"
"I've never seen you read a paper, I've only ever seen you light fires with them" Ada observed, and now Clara thought about it, she hadn't ever seen Pol read a paper either.
"BSA are on strike, the miners are on strike, IRA are killing our boys, ten a day"
"Yeah I heard about those, no clue why everyone's striking all of a sudden, they should be happy they even have jobs" Ada hummed in agreement but Polly wasn't listening, she was staring at Ada's stomach.
"What?" She asked
"Stand up" Polly commanded
"Why?" Ada said taking a bite of her bread
"Just stand up" the young woman stood up from the table dusting her hands off as she did so. Polly did too but Clara stayed seated and observed.
"Side on" Polly grabbed Ada's left breast and the younger flinched away, pushing her aunts hands away and exclaiming "what are you doing?!"