Chapter 5

It's Friday now. The day of Marie's first performance. Two days after Nayoko broke her leg. The doctors said it was nothing serious and that it would heal quickly. But Marie couldn't help but have pity for the girl. With her broken leg she's unable to play, meaning for the next little while she won't be performing.

But that didn't stop her from coming to the bar.

She sits in the front row at one of the tables. Marie sits next to her as they watch Amy's performance.

"Are you excited?" Nayoko asks. She looks up at Marie with curious eyes.

Marie nods. She's a little nervous but she doesn't want to admit that. There's also the worry that lurks in the back of her mind. Her partner has yet to show himself to her.

"Don't worry." Nayoko waves her off. "He'll be here."

"How do you know?" Marie asks, trying to shrug off how Nayoko figured out what she was thinking.
"Because Roan's reliable."

Marie scoffs. "If he was he would have been here this whole week to practice." She twirls her drink.

Nayoko cringes. "You've got a point there."

As the last note of Amy's song rings out the audience applauds. Marie joins them, not as impressed.

Amy bows before stepping behind the curtains. Mike gets on stage and takes her place. He grabs the mic that sits on the stage as Finn brings another mic and stand out.

"Let's have another round of applause for Amy!"

The crowd erupts. Marie rolls her eyes.

"Now, for our next performance we have someone you all know and love." At this the women in the bar cheer and a few men whistle. Mike grins. "Yep! You all know who I'm talking about. Well, Roan isn't alone today. He's got a new partner."

At this Marie stands up and makes her way over to the stage.

"Please give a round of applause for Roan and Marie!"

Marie steps up onto the stage as she tries not to be bothered by Roan's name being first. Mike hands her the mic and gives her a nod. As he brushes past her to step off the stage he whispers, "good luck." Then, Marie is alone.

Is this the part where Roan shows up?

Her gaze sweeps the bar. All the faces are just blurs in the dim light of the bar and the bright lights that shine down on her. She takes a deep breath. I guess I have to do this by myself. She isn't surprised that her partner didn't show. Not after him not appearing all week.

"Never have I felt

This alive

Been down for..."

The notes carry out of her. As flawlessly as if she was born with the song. She closes her eyes as the music transports her.

"When everything was bleak"

Her eyes snap open at the deep voice. Murmurs go up in the crowd at her shock. But Marie doesn't miss a beat. She continues on as if nothing, as if no one, surprised her.

"You were there

Guiding me through it

All."

She spins around as if this is practiced. Like she knew that he would appear out of nowhere.

The man behind her is the same one that sang when she first came to the bar. And he's even more handsome up close. It almost makes up for how he's been a no-show.